Do my own Oil Change? - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Ľ Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour How-To

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Default Do my own Oil Change?

Someone asked me if they should be doing their own oil change or pay the $39 for a shop to do it? Perhaps they will dent the oil filter?

I actually deal with oil filters quite a bit as Iím on retainer at two national oil change shops that call me when they screw up.

To answer your question about the oil filter Iíll say this.

Small dents tend to cause more problems than large dents. This is because as the oil goes through the filter (in a pulse type motion) it causes the small dent to flex back and forth. After a period of time the flexing will cause a weak spot and can rupture at this spot. Larger dents wonít usually flex and thus are more stable. Will a larger dent restrict oil flow? Not really, as oil flows into the filter using the 8 or so smaller holes and comes back out of the filter through the center hole. Even if one or two smaller holes were blocked by a large dent, you would still have plenty of filtration.

This is the main reason why you want to inspect your oil filter before installing and to never use an oil filter wrench to install or tighten an oil filter. Your hands are just perfect for this job.

Why should YOU be changing your own oil and filter?

1) The techs at the quick change oil change shops are rarely certified and are normally just lay people off the street who the shop trained. They make mistakes!

2) The techs at the dealership including Honda and Acura are the least paid and are often on a quota system for speed. Itís the worst mechanical job in the shop and often given to some kid or beginner tech wanting to get into a dealership. Most real true techs will not be a lube tech as a full time job.

3) You will make sure you use the correct and top quality parts

4) You will make sure that you donít under fill or overfill the oil level

5) You will make sure the drain plug gets tightened correctly

6) You will make sure you use the correct oil weight

7) You will make sure the oil filter is correct and put on correctly and not dented!!

8) You will make sure you use a new drain plug gasket

9) You will make sure you lube the oil filter gasket

10) You will make sure you donít double the oil filter gasket

11) You will make sure you donít spill oil on your engine, or at least clean what you spilled

12) You will check other things under the car

13) You will check other things under the hood like other fluids, filters, etc.

14) You will remember to put on an oil change sticker on your windshield

15) You will not need to be cheated by some shop telling you, your air filter, wipers, or some other part needs to be replaced at some exorbitant price.

16) You will purchase the oil change parts in bulk or when on sale so that you save even more.

17) You will have the satisfaction of knowing that it was done right.

I could easily write a book about all the problems that occur with oil change techs for example:

A) In a hurry (which they always are) they will use an air ratchet to remove the drain plug. Removing a drain plug from a hot engine often takes the threads right out of the oil pan. Now you need a new oil pan.

B) Forgetting or partially tightening the drain plug or oil filter

C) Using the wrong oil

D) Using cheaper oil like straight 20w or semi synthetic for full synthetic. More Profit!

E) Under filling or overfilling your crankcase.

F) When showing you your engine air filter or cabin filter they fail to replace it correctly. Especially if you refuse to purchase a new one. Or often just out of laziness.

G) Topping off your radiator, washer fluid, brake fluid with wrong, or contaminated fluid.

H) Just failing to check all your other fluids

I) Getting oil and dirt on your door handle, seats, steering wheel and carpets

J) Purposely causing damage to your car.

K) Steeling things from inside your car

L) There are many more!

Itís not really a difficult case to argue why you should do as many maintenances yourself.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
2013ct

Hey, Crashmaster, in your opinion is there a difference between oil brands and which would you recommend if there is?

Thanks!
2013ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013ct View Post
Hey, Crashmaster, in your opinion is there a difference between oil brands and which would you recommend if there is?

Thanks!
In my opinion and what I use, is Mobil 1 full synthetic. I change my oil twice a year, once in the autumn and then again in the spring. In autumn I use 0w20 and then in the spring I use a 5w30. I change weights because of the hot summer climate I live in. For where you live, you might want to change it a bit.

Would I ever use a high mileage oil?
No. The high mileage oils have chemicals added that tend to swell the engine seals and gaskets. If your engine is not using oil, do not use this oil or you might end up leaking oil.

I also would never use an oil additive no matter what the claim or pitch.

Is one synthetic the same as another?
I use Mobil 1 because I can purchase it on sale at Costco or Sam’s Club for around $25 for 6 quarts. Walmart often has it on sale for $23 for 5 quarts. You can pretty much find this oil anywhere. I want an oil that is in most stores, a reasonable price, has a history of being a top oil and surpasses the oil requirements for my vehicles. I’m not saying there are not better oils out there, but for my purposes, Mobil 1 meets all my needs and the needs of my car.

As the moderator of this board, I cannot recommend anyone to use something that goes against the owner’s manual. As I stated above, this is my opinion and what I use in my car.

If oil fascinates you and you want to know EVERYTHING about oils, I would suggest that you check out www.bobistheoilguy.com and you can spend weeks and weeks going through his forums learning everything about oils and other lubricants.

Last edited by Crashmaster; 11-13-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement