Power Stop Brakes - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Ľ Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Wheels, Tires & Suspension

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Angry Power Stop Brakes

I know that as soon as one person mentions a brake brand, there are always numerous other people who say that: Brembo, EBC, Wagner, Akebono, Bosch, Bendix, Raybestos, Power Stop, AC Delco, Stop Tech, Hawk, Wilwood, Wearever, Posi Quiet, Performance Friction, Power Slot, ATC, Motorcraft, Centric, Duralast, BrakeBest, Carquest, Monroe, Beck/Arnley, NAPA and of course OEM brakes are much better. My list of brake manufacturers above are not by any means the complete list of brake manufacturers. My point is that there are lots of brands to choose from.

As for myself, I have always been a Performance Friction user for many many years, mainly because I often work on LE (Law Enforcement) vehicles and they have been using Performance Friction for many many years. They monitor all replacement parts (especially Non-OEM) for quality and longevity. I have been very happy with Performance Friction, but have been aware of the higher performance claims and looks of many other brake manufacturers such as EBC, Akebono and Power Stop to name a few.

A friend brought over his Honda Pilot and asked me to install a Power Stop front brake kit (slotted drilled rotors and pads). We also went through the manufacturers recommended extensive break in for these brakes pads and rotors. I did this about 18 months ago. I drove his vehicle both before and after the brake job. I can absolutely say with confidence that the brakes felt better, meaning; quicker response, grabbier and better stopping. I was amazed. I was so amazed that I ordered the Power Stop brake kits for both my car and my wife. Afterwards on both vehicles the results were the same, being nothing less than phenomenal.

Now, letís move the clock up 18 months later. My wife is complaining of a severe brake pedal and steering vibration when slowing down, especially at highway speeds. Yes, I verified the condition, but she happens to be very good at vehicle diagnosis (living with me all these years). I checked the vehicle and the rotors were out of spec. I noticed on my own car, that I donít drive as much a slight brake/steering vibration too. I called my friend with the Honda Pilot (who drives his car daily) and he told me that the brake/steering vibration was so bad that he had his brakes replaced with OEM. He told me he was to embarrassed to bring the vehicle back to me.

With three vehicles all showing the same problem, I felt that this was certainly a manufacturer issue. I called Power Stop. The women I spoke with only was able to tell me that their warranty does not cover rotor warping or out of spec. When she put me through to their head tech support person, I got no explanation, only that their warranty would not cover the problem.

Iím going back to my old and true Performance Friction without the fancy slots and drilled holes in the rotors. Brakes are a safety issue and I donít want to be associated with any company that makes cheap, inferior products and wonít stand behind them like Power Stop.

Remember, brake components must do what you expect them to do. I expect my brake components to match OEM or better in stopping and longevity.I donít mind spending more for better stopping and longer life, but feel cheated if I paid two or three times more and the brakes only lasted less than half of OEM.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
Brizzzey

I only got my CT in October 18, put StopTech kits on the front and rears, drilled & slotted all the way around. From what I've noticed the rotors cool off very quickly which is great. But the StopTech pads I believe could be better. I have a set of rear EBC red stuff pads I'm putting on in the next week or so. Depending on how those perform I'll determine out what the replace the fronts with. Thanks for the info though about Performance and Power Stop.

I believe a Power Stop drilled and slotted kit is what I put on my old 2007 Accord Ex V6, but these only went on the front and I never recall any problems with it. Yet that was a rather different car compared to CT's or a Pilot with only a single piston on the front calipers. Those pads I think are still on the car and I sold that last fall, at least 2 years on them and less than 40,000 miles.
Brizzzey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
kangi26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
I’m going back to my old and true Performance Friction without the fancy slots and drilled holes in the rotors. Brakes are a safety issue and I don’t want to be associated with any company that makes cheap, inferior products and won’t stand behind them like Power Stop.

Remember, brake components must do what you expect them to do. I expect my brake components to match OEM or better in stopping and longevity.I don’t mind spending more for better stopping and longer life, but feel cheated if I paid two or three times more and the brakes only lasted less than half of OEM.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Thats some great feedback @Crashmaster. My '13 is getting close for new breaks and I'm JUST starting to look. I'll most certainly look at Performance Friction. You can't really beat your level of experience with them. Thanks much.

Last edited by kangi26; 05-13-2019 at 11:20 PM.
kangi26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #4
MelloYelloMD

@crashmaster where do you normally purchase your PF pads? I’m getting ready to replace the tears on my ‘13 CT. I’ve been putting OEM pads on it because I have a buddy getting them at cost (works for a dealer). Wondering what the price difference is and if I should try PF this time around. I run my CT hard and do some hard stopping.
MelloYelloMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloYelloMD View Post
@crashmaster where do you normally purchase your PF pads? Iím getting ready to replace the tears on my Ď13 CT. Iíve been putting OEM pads on it because I have a buddy getting them at cost (works for a dealer). Wondering what the price difference is and if I should try PF this time around. I run my CT hard and do some hard stopping.
The point of my thread was not to push Performance Friction, but to warn people against Power Stop products. There are lots of good brake products out there and there are also lots of poor brake products. If your want to try Performance Friction, they can be purchased at Amazon and most all O'Reilly Auto Part stores.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
FormerSuzukiGuy

Default Thank You

CrashMaster,

Thank you, so much. I have had my '12 AWD EX-L CT for 9 months. The brakes have recently started pulsating. I was looking into better performing brakes, and leaning towards PS. It is so rare that anyone continues a review well into the product expected lifespan. Most just do initial install / use reviews. It is so frustrating trying to make an informed purchase with such incomplete data.

So again, Thank You!

FSG
FormerSuzukiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerSuzukiGuy View Post
CrashMaster,

Thank you, so much. I have had my '12 AWD EX-L CT for 9 months. The brakes have recently started pulsating. I was looking into better performing brakes, and leaning towards PS. It is so rare that anyone continues a review well into the product expected lifespan. Most just do initial install / use reviews. It is so frustrating trying to make an informed purchase with such incomplete data.

So again, Thank You!

FSG

Keep in mind that this is what many police agencies use. They last longer than OEM and do not fade when pushed hard. You will sacrifice the 'Kool' look of drilled and slotted rotors though.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
1LLRA5

Is the warning for anything powerstop or just rotor kits?
i put powertop z17 pads on rear worked fine no issues. pads only though. was going to get them again.. just started to hear the sensors squeel a bit.. lasted about 2 years/20k miles
1LLRA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement