Which automotive magazines do you like best? - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Default Which automotive magazines do you like best?

Which automotive magazines do you like best? I get asked this all the time from my automotive buddies and thought I would make a list of my favorite magazines in order of preference of what I like best and worst. The best magazines (in my opinion) are the ones NOT at the news or magazine stands.

Automotive Engineering – This is my favorite magazine. Articles about cars, cars and more cars. Some of the articles are: Why aren’t there more unibody pickups. Acura and ArcelorMittal debut world first hot stamped door ring system on 2019 RDX. Nissan variable-compression engine gets first shot at volume with new 2019 Altima. Even the advertising in the magazine are automotive only. There is a section for new product briefs and much more. If you go to a garage sale and find a few boxes of these magazines, you have found a true treasure!

Automotive Vehicle Engineering – Very similar to Automotive Engineering above with just automotive articles such as: Detecting Pedestrians; Seeing through Fog; Car Washes; and much much more.

Motor – This is a great all round automotive magazine. There are no ads for WeatherTech, Tire Rack or cheap Daniel Steiger watches. Instead you will have articles like Automotive Trade Secrets; Foreign Service; Electronics; Using a Power Probe; and ads from companies that you really want to know more about like Hunter Engineering, NAPA, OTC Diagnostics, Pennzoil, automotive gloves, rebuilding turbochargers and much more relative and needed stuff.

Underhood Service – Another great automotive magazine. Typical articles are: Understanding misfire events and causes; Domestic oil specifications; Automatic Belt Tensioners; Air filters and Mass Air Flow Sensor Contamination; The latest in leak detection equipment; and much more. A great magazine with great ads too.

These above top four magazines are my favorite and keep me hopping by the mailbox awaiting the next issue (create a mental image of this in your head). Keep in mind that many of the articles are very complex and beyond the reach of most skilled technicians.

Car and Driver – Let’s do our main story on the 2019 Cullinan. What is a Cullinan you ask? It’s the new Rolls Royce station wagon. Hmmm…. How many people will purchase this $3 magazine and decide whether or not to purchase a $350,000 Rolls Royce station wagon. Really!? There are lots of pages of ads for WeatherTech, Tire Rack and cheap Daniel Steiger watches. There was a good article about the 2018 Tesla Model 3 and some of their comparison vehicle tests are pretty good. For the most part, their writers tend to write in ‘Novel’ mode. Quoting page 81 “During a recent stop at the Shell Station in Mojave, we spotted two shiny, new California Highway Patrol Dodge Chargers gleaming in the sun.” This isn’t how people I know talk. Keep in mind that Car and Driver is the number one automotive magazine with a circulation of 1.2 million.

Motor Trend – I’ve found their car reviews and experts serious lacking in quality and expertise. They seem to favor the cars that do the most advertising with them (in my opinion). When I was younger I liked this rag the best.

Hot Rod Magazine – Another one of my favorites from years past. Unfortunately, there just isn’t that enough hot-rods left to keep this magazine alive or to write stories about. I fear it will be gone soon.

Road & Track – Another very similar to Car and Drive above. Usually highlighting some very expensive vehicles that nobody could ever afford.

Popular Mechanics – If I was going on a long airplane trip and needed something to read, I would purchase a Cosmo before this. It seems this magazine has more and more articles on carpentry and pretty much anything except mechanics. This month’s issue has an article on: Why I use a Glass Straw. Scientists Covert Mental Images to Actual Images. How to Track Weed. The New American Whiskey. Numerous pages on Sailing. How to relieve back pain. How to repair a wooden barn and many more things a true mechanic has no interest in.

Popular Science – This used to be a good magazine and often had good articles, but unfortunately will rarely have one article on cars. This month’s articles include: Building a vessel for a 100-year trip through space; Save a rhino subspecies; Uterine transplants help women; and a bit more. You will still find ads for WeatherTech and Stauer watches. This is not an automotive magazine.

More automotive magazines such a Classic Car, Hemming Motor news, Automobile, Motorsports, Racing, Custom Car, Muscle Car, Muscle Machines, Racer, Truck Trend, Auto Remarketing, Body Shop Business, Brake Front End, Car Kulture Deluxe, Chevy High Performance, Classic Racer, Classic Trucks, Die Cast, Diesel World, Drag Racer, Engine Builder, Grassroots Motorsports, Import Car, Lowrider, Mopar Muscle, Mustang Monthly, Overdrive, RPM Magazine, Street Rodder, Street Trucks, Super Chevy, Super Motors, Tire Review, Tomorrow’s Tech, Truckin High Roller, Vette, Super Street, Fast Car, Banzai, Auto Express and many many more.

No, these are not all the automotive magazine there are, as there are pretty much vehicle specific magazines for every model of car. Just thought I would share my magazine list. If you have something you like that I didn’t mention, feel free. No need to mention Playboy (even though they often have some good automotive car reviews – I’m told), we’re not that type of board…
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Tupperware

Glad I popped open this old thread. I have never heard of your top four. Each appeals to me.
Tupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement