Honda Crosstour Forums - View Single Post - Honda ATF DW-1 Fluid
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Default Honda ATF DW-1 Fluid

The Automatic Transmission in our CT uses unique transmission fluid. On page 341 of your owner’s manual it will tell you: “Always use Honda ATF DW-1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid).” That the drain and fill interval should be according to the maintenance minder (page 331). There is also a NOTICE on this page about how important it is to use “Only Honda ATF DW-1 fluid and to not mix it with anything else……” I started searching the Internet to see where I can purchase this Honda ATF DW-1 fluid. My local Honda dealer informs me that the MSRP is $8.23 per quart (less tax). You can find it discounted for about $6.21 per quart or less on the Internet. Shipping will hurt you as it runs about $2 or so a quart.

On other Honda forums they say that Valvoline Maxlife and Castrol Import ATF are spec’d for use where Honda DW-1 is recommended, but I have not confirmed that yet. Also, I’m a former Transaxle Technician/Instructor, I tend to prefer OEM fluids while the vehicle is under warranty.

I just purchased a case (12 quarts) of OEM ATF DW-1 fluid on eBay for BUY IT NOW for $54.99. With shipping & handling of $34.07 it makes a total of $89.06. That comes out to $7.42 per quart delivered to my door. If you are also interested, just do an eBay search for ATF DW-1 and you will see a seller by the name of hotprizes.

According to my information, when removing the drain plug from the CT transmission, will only allow about 3 quarts of transmission fluid to be removed. Doing this at the maintenance minder or perhaps sooner of about every third or fourth oil change, should be sufficient to maintain your automatic transmission forever. I also like to have a bit of this fluid around in case I need some to top off.

NOTE: I also recommend that you have your magnetic drain plug ready to install when you do your first transmission fluid change.

NOTE: Honda does NOT recommend that you flush or use any additives in your transmission (as many shops tend to do).

Last edited by Crashmaster; 08-13-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote