2013 CT V6 engine hesitation - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Engine Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
tomscrosstour
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Default 2013 CT V6 engine hesitation

2013 CT EX-L V6 Navi (2wheel drive) with approx. 3200 mi. The problem is when you go around a corner or make a turn and press on the gas the engine hesitates or bogs down then picks backs up. I have several people advise it is part of the VCM and to live with it. I see that some 2010 models have a vibration problem at certain rpms, but I have no problem with that. The engine seems to almost quit/ lose power. I can't seem to understand why a almost $40K has this type of problem. I'm beginning to think it's a software problem in the ECM. I have tried turning off the VSA and this seems to help but occasionally it still bogs down. Sorry if this is long, but I don't want to drive this thing with this problem and need some ideas.

Thanks for listening.
tomscrosstour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Xaque
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscrosstour View Post
2013 CT EX-L V6 Navi (2wheel drive) with approx. 3200 mi. The problem is when you go around a corner or make a turn and press on the gas the engine hesitates or bogs down then picks backs up. I have several people advise it is part of the VCM and to live with it. I see that some 2010 models have a vibration problem at certain rpms, but I have no problem with that. The engine seems to almost quit/ lose power. I can't seem to understand why a almost $40K has this type of problem. I'm beginning to think it's a software problem in the ECM. I have tried turning off the VSA and this seems to help but occasionally it still bogs down. Sorry if this is long, but I don't want to drive this thing with this problem and need some ideas.

Thanks for listening.
Yeah, my first reaction was it sounds like VSA kicking in. Removing power because he believes the wheels are starting to slip.

Perhaps there is a faulty wheel spin sensor or something causing the issue?
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
tomscrosstour
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks for the info Xaque, had not considered that. I'm going to have a talk with my local honda service mgr and see if others are having this same condition occur. I traded in a 2007 TL TypeS for this thing and now realize I might have made a mistake! I never had any problems with it but the premium gas was killing me. I know "U could have run regular in it" but the manual called for nothing less than 91 octane, as did the Acura dealer. Oh well thanks again for the quick answer Xque.
tomscrosstour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
edubfromktown
Senior Member
 
edubfromktown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscrosstour View Post
Thanks for the info Xaque, had not considered that. I'm going to have a talk with my local honda service mgr and see if others are having this same condition occur. I traded in a 2007 TL TypeS for this thing and now realize I might have made a mistake! I never had any problems with it but the premium gas was killing me. I know "U could have run regular in it" but the manual called for nothing less than 91 octane, as did the Acura dealer. Oh well thanks again for the quick answer Xque.
I have a 2010 4wd that hasn't had any vibration issues and definitely no hesitation when cornering. Does your car stutter the same when cornering in either direction and has it done this since you purchased it? Agree that for as much as they cost, I'd be on the dealer like hornet to resolve the issue- it is atypical for sure.

Side note: my GF had an RSX Type-S (that was stolen and gutted with 4 others a couple years ago) and now drives a TSX (both 6-speed manuals). She actually likes driving the CT
edubfromktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
tomscrosstour
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Yes edubfromktown it has done it from the get go. It does it no matter which way I turn. I compare it to the ol' days when cars with carburetors would bog down just before it would back-fire (if that makes any sense!). Time to see the service mgr or maybe it's just me? My wife loves driving the thing, so I'll stick to my 08 Civic POS!
tomscrosstour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
edubfromktown
Senior Member
 
edubfromktown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscrosstour View Post
Yes edubfromktown it has done it from the get go. It does it no matter which way I turn. I compare it to the ol' days when cars with carburetors would bog down just before it would back-fire (if that makes any sense!). Time to see the service mgr or maybe it's just me? My wife loves driving the thing, so I'll stick to my 08 Civic POS!
Go see the service manager... strictly business and explain the situation. If he's trying blow smoke, you call Honda directly and get them involved.

One of my other cars is a 1965 Chevy Corvair. When you posted this issue, it reminded me of a problem that I helped a fellow "unsafe at any speed" enthusiast with where his car would behave similarly; only when turning right. It ended up being a fuel line problem. On modern cars I don't see how that's possible but something is definitely up that needs attention.

eDub
edubfromktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
tomscrosstour
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Default

UpDate* Took it to the dealer and naturally could not replicate the problem BUT he did check the ECM and ending up re-flashing it (?) and now that seems to fix the problem. We'll see, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
tomscrosstour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Thomas144
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 22
Default

I got my 2013 v6 4wd yesterday and just now googled "Crosstour hesitation" and found this thread. At slower speeds it feels like the carburetor is gasping for air. Still trying to characterize it.
Thomas144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Thomas144
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 22
Default

I think the hesitation I am feeling is the VCM kicking in. No one told me about this feature and it's not described in any of the documentation that came with the car. Anyway, now that I know what it is, I think it's great (although it would be nice to have the option to turn it off). My previous car, an Acura MDX, died exactly a week ago, it's transmission was flooded with radiator coolant, and I am extremely sensitive to any strangeness in the way a car drives because of that experience. Really digging my new Crosstour.
Thomas144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
billy elliott
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Is VCM the same as ECO? I asked to have ECO removed and was advised, "no can do"....my first Honda, with 1500 miles. Every bell and whistle including adding rear back up sensors (wasted of money) I am a car princess and I wish the ride was smoother and that when you take your foot off the accelerator as in coming to a red light - the car jerks.
The car likes to hug the road which is great, I will have more to say when it snows and the AWD goes into action....now about the phone system - already had the computer updated and I still think it is an antique...can we turn off the lady communicator?
billy elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
vbritt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1
Default Is it still okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscrosstour View Post
UpDate* Took it to the dealer and naturally could not replicate the problem BUT he did check the ECM and ending up re-flashing it (?) and now that seems to fix the problem. We'll see, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
You are not alone with this problem. I have a 2012 Crosstour that is doing the same thing. If the ECO light is out then it seems to work okay. If the ECO light is on and the car is rolling it will seem to hesitate when I press on the accelerator causing the car to lunge forward when it catches hold. It doesn't do it all of the time but it does it often enough to irritate the dickens out of me. It seems to me that the car is hesitating to shift out of the ECO mode quick enough.

Is your car still okay after having the ECM re-flashed?
vbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
BajaHyena
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 25
Default

My A5 does the same damn thing in 2nd gear. Thanks for the input this may have actually helped out with a completely different car.
__________________
<3 My crazy Hatchagonover thingy <3

External plans for X-tour:
-Raise it 2 inches
-Thicker, fatter, On/Off road tires (about to mount them on here soon)
-Light rack/Roof Rack; and well outfitted. (%85 complete)
-Skidplate and bullbar (currently collecting "Deercrossing" signs"
-Rally grille lights
-Rally Armour mudflaps (looking for polyurethane ones, may have custom ones 3D printed.)
-Have 2 lorry cans, need 3 more. (mounted to roof rack)

Check out my progress here on my profile!
BajaHyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.