Gas mileage - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
ArtH

Location: On a hill overlooking the Grays River Valley and Columbia River in SW Washington State
Default Gas mileage

Re: V-6 engines: Anyone done any research to determine what Honda has done to increase the highway mileage of the newer year models? I know the 2013's come with a new 6 speed tranny, but I doubt the final drive ratio is that different between the original 5th gear and the new 6th gear.

The 2013 brochure says, "Enhancements for 2013 let the engine run in 3-cylinder mode longer-maximizing fuel efficiency-while still providing seamless transitions to all 6 cylinders when more muscle is needed." This seems more like a software alteration than anything else, to me, and if so, it would seem any 6 cyl. CT could be so programmed.

I'm getting a maximum of 24mpg and I drive very lightly on the accelerator, and this in an area that is relatively flat and averages less than 55 mph. I live in the country, there are zero stoplights, and most trips are 30 miles or more with just 1 or two intersection stops. I've never had a Honda or any car for that matter that I couldn't get higher highway gas mileage than rated. This is the one exception to that experience, and I don't know why it should be.

Tires inflated properly, I don't believe the brakes are sticking, I am using regular gas, but that's the recommended octane, and I do not idle the car to warm it up, and live in a snow-free area of SW Washington state, so the roads are clear and resistance-free. I've always enjoyed efficient cars, and I expected this to be better than it's doing. Still love the car nevertheless.

My car: 2011 EX-L 4WD, White Diamond Pearl, Chrome Wheels, Splash guards, Rack (currently not on)
ArtH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
gyost

We bought the 2011 in April of that year and in July drive it to Toronto and back (to Florida). Fully loaded with 4 adults we got 28 mpg on the road. The next May my wife and I drove to Ohio and back and got 30 mpg on the road. It seems like it is getting better once it is broken in. Just bought a 2nd CT New Year's Eve and drive about 35 miles one way to work, on rural, four lane roads and get about 25 mpg mixed town and country driving. It only has 1300 miles and I'm looking forward to better mileage as it gets more miles on it.
gyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
edubfromktown

I've had similar experience to gyost on my 2010 4wd.

29.2 MPG was my best so far on the highway and I'm averaging 24+ overall. I live in the Mid Atlantic region and definitely drive with a heavier foot, plus vary the speed. On the computer stats (which I don't take too much stock in for accuracy), I still manage to score better gas mileage with my foot as opposed to using cruise control
edubfromktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
DraEagWol

ArtH -

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ore-value.html

They are saying that the 2013 v6 will supposedly get 21 city / 34 hwy. Which is better than most of our 19-city / 24 hwy mpg now.

I have over 39k+ miles on my 2010 and yes there are a few... very few long road trips where I had a great tail wind, easy traffic... peak driving conditions and I got at most 26-28 mpg. Of course I drive an avg. of 75 mph as well. So that's not bad. I am thinking though of trading up our 2010 to a 2013... but will probably wait till this fall to get some better incentives.. etc.. etc. *shrugs*
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
ArtH

Location: On a hill overlooking the Grays River Valley and Columbia River in SW Washington State

Wondering what the effect of my 18 inch chrome wheels have, if any, on mileage. I assume the diameter of the tire itself is the same, but perhaps the altered sidewall size has some affect I am not aware of. Anyone else have these wheels and getting better mileage than I? BTW, I have 15,000 miles on the car(have only put 1000 of those on it myself as this was a Certified Car purchase), so it's broken in I would guess. Got 25mpg this past weekend, so up 1 mpg from best. Still, for the area I drive in, I am used to much better mileage from vehicles. I used to get 50mpg on my Jetta diesel automatic, nominally rated at 42. Of course I don't expect that kind of mileage but it's just to show that my driving generally produces better than rated mileage. I envy those who are able to get 30 mpg on trips, which is a significant 20% factor over 25mpg. Perhaps the computer will gradually adjust to my driving, whereas the previous owner may have driven only in city environments.

I was reading about an Acura 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT recently, which by the way has an incredible number of similarities to the CT. Anyway, one sentence stood out that is interesting: "With any luck, it’s also possible to have a dealer reflash the steering system with the 2010 software." The reviewer, who quite liked the car, didn't like the lighter 2012 steering, which in my estimation is also a valid criticism of the CT. Would there be a software tweek to alter the CT as well, maybe the same as in the TL? Lots of questions.

We've all seen advertisements for chips that are available in the aftermarket for truck engines and other cars, generally for performance or mileage purposes. I am wondering if anyone is considering marketing chips that will allow people like ourselves to set/reset various available engine/transmission functions that only Honda software engineers hidden in the bowels of Honda Central know about.
ArtH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Xaque

Even if the final ratio is close to the same of the current transmission, the extra gear(s) make a huge difference.

It allows the engine to remain in the most efficient RPM range more of the time.

Not sure what other tweaks they've made... but the extra gear is nothing to scoff at.
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
genericram

FYI, earlier Crosstours have a 4.53 final drive vs 4.25 in the new V6.

Top gear......earlier is .612, while the 2013 is .566, yet has a lower low gear.

The 2013 is about .8 sec quicker to 60, I'm guessing, what with the reconfigured torque curve and better gearing . Also , the new ones (V6) have electric steering,which I like better than I thought I would. .Just traded a 2010 for a 2013. 70 mph is at about 2000 rpm now.
genericram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Xaque

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericram View Post

Top gear......earlier is .612, while the 2013 is .566, yet has a lower low gear.

The 2013 is about .8 sec quicker to 60, I'm guessing, what with the reconfigured torque curve and better gearing . Also , the new ones (V6) have electric steering,which I like better than I thought I would. .Just traded a 2010 for a 2013. 70 mph is at about 2000 rpm now.
Nice. Thanks for the numbers.

The electronic steering... do you know if it's variable depending on speed?
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
genericram

"The electronic steering... do you know if it's variable depending on speed? "

Sorry,I'm not sure. Can only say it feels good to me..subjective, I know.

As to the original question on gas mileage, my limited experience would lead me to believe it has improved by the 1 -2 mpg Honda claims, maybe more. Not much data yet.
genericram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Joe221

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericram View Post

I just took a little trip and was cruising mostly at 70 at 2000RPM. on that trip which was about 160 miles I got about 30MPG correcting the trip computer which has about a .5 MPG optimistic slant. I was very happy with that result. My last full tank of mostly city was 15MPG so it can suck the gas when I can't get out on the road. I'm still below 1000 miles so it's not really broken in yet.

2013 V6 EX-LN 2WD
Basque Red Pearl II / Ivory
Joe221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
calvin

Make sure you don't have alignment problem. My car has alignment problem when brought new. Dealer fixed not very well, still little putting. I fixed at a local alignment shop. cost me $75 alignment for a new car....
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
kdwilkerson

First week ownership report, 13 EX-L, was doing well on MPG until I discovered the joy of Sequential Shift driving in this baby...mileage dropped below 15, or below my 650i previously driven. I don't mind so much as I know the mileage figures are available for highway driving and this baby still gets it when I feel like I need to get it (without buying super unleaded)! ;-). I love this ride!
kdwilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
CT-Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwilkerson View Post
First week ownership report, 13 EX-L, was doing well on MPG until I discovered the joy of Sequential Shift driving in this baby...mileage dropped below 15, or below my 650i previously driven. I don't mind so much as I know the mileage figures are available for highway driving and this baby still gets it when I feel like I need to get it (without buying super unleaded)! ;-). I love this ride!
First week owner here, too.

Just filled up for first tank - 23.1 mpg with 80% highway, and going relatively easy to break it in. Played just a little with the paddle shifters so far, which are pretty good.

Check out my blog for CT pics and more! http://crosstourlife.tumblr.com/
CT-Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
raven3quill

I have a 2012 V6 AWD and overall am averaging about 21mpg over the first 6000 miles. I would say about 60-70% of the miles are highway. The best I have gotten so far is 24.5mpg on 100% highway around 75mph. I live in a relatively hilly part of the Northeast. I update my profile occasionally on Fuelly. That site is really useful for seeing what mpg real people get.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
CT-Enthusiast

4th tank with mostly around-town short trips, idling, and some acceleration testing (my blog has my 0-60 and 0-50 mph videos) - 19.2 mpg. My V6 4WD is rated at 19/28, so it's not a surprise. Still very happy with my CT.

Check out my blog for CT pics and more! http://crosstourlife.tumblr.com/
CT-Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement