Maintenance Minder Questions - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Maintenance

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Taylor263621

Talking Maintenance Minder Questions

* 2011 CT (4WD) - No Navi

* Pg-331

***I am little confused with the Maintenance Minder and Service on when EXACTLY to change/replace certain things. Please help me better understand the following so I can maintain the CT the right way.

1. "Replace Dust & Pollen Filter* ---Is this the Air Filter under the hood or Cabin Filter in the glove compartment? ( I think its Air Filter, just want to make sure).

2. Transmission Fluid: @ 60,000? Not 100% Sure.

3. Rear Differential Fluid: 60,000?

4. Engine Coolant: Has to be drained with similar to brake fluid with suction needle? Engine Coolant at what mileage?

Thanks for the input, sorry I just bought the CT and want it to run perfect!

Steve
Taylor263621 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
DraEagWol

1.) Dust & Pollen Filter is the one behind your glove box.

2). Transimission Fluid is done when the MM (maintenance minder) Indicates that it needs to be done (which is the symbol 3 ... as in B 3)

3.) Same as 2, and indicated by the number 6.

4.) Engine coolant: Does not need to be suction needled to be drained, there is a drain valve on the bottom of most radiators when it is time to drain / flush the system. MM 5.

The only thing that is Independent of the MM according the manual is the brake fluid, which should be changed out every 3 years, check Idle speed at 160k miles, and adjusting the valves if they are noisy at any of the MM's.

Other thoughts on the Transmission , the old rule of thumb was at about every 30k miles they should be changed. With the new technology and fluids they are using, transmission service can be up to 100k miles. It all depends upon the use of the vehicle, do you use it harshly? Tow alot? etc.. etc.. then your fluids probably need to be changed more often.

If you have the money... and want to play it safe.. then go ahead and change the rear diff / trans fluid every 30-60k or so... if you don't then follow at least your MM.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Taylor263621

Dust and pollen is cabin filter...Change @ 15,000 Miles

Q1. When do you change AIR FILTER?
Q2. When should I drain the old engine coolant and replace it?
Q3. Going back to the transmission fluid, I do not do any towing, just regular city driving. Would 60,000 be standard city driving change?

I am not a fan of the MM and 1A.2B....stuff, I wish it was set up as so:

Engine Oil @ 3,000K with Filter
Etc
Etc

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
DraEagWol

Both engine air filter and the cabin air filter are changed at 15k, I personally do not follow that rule, I check them - and if they are dirty then I will change them myself, or blow them out with a compressor. They are easy to check.

Coolant, once again its a MM 5 - no set mileage, though the old stuff we used to use was good for about 30k or so, today's stuff last's twice as long. Once again, you could wait till the MM says to change it or have it changed at 45k+ miles as you deem so.

Transmission fluid - avg life of 60k miles seems to be the "norm". So once again, you could wait till your at that point and change it whether or not the MM says to, or do so earlier if you want. Doing so certainly wont hurt a thing.

I do agree, its hard to set your faith in a computer telling you when your engine needs maintenance.

Best thing is to physically look at your fluids, look to see how "thick" they are compared to new, how dirty, etc, etc... if you don't have access to what the difference is between the new stuff and old stuff, make sure you have your Mechanic Show you! Not just a sample, but watch them pull it out of your vehicle, and have them explain why they feel it needs changed or fixed even though the computer says otherwise. Oh and then get it in writing. For waranty purposes.

hope this helps a bit
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Xaque

The Maintenance Minder is definitely the better option (instead of just blindly replacing fluids and predetermined intervals).

The MM system takes into account not just miles traveled, but also engine hours, RPMs (total and highest), temps, etc etc etc.

The MM is much smarter than any of us... I've just been putting my faith in it. (And besides, can't argue with Honda if you did everything exactly how the car told you!)
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Taylor263621

The Only MM I Know How to Change:
1. Change: Trip-A & Trip-B
2. Change: Oil Life to 100%

* Video *

*Now I understand a little more than before, note this is my 1st Honda. I just wanted to be on top of the maintenance and make sure everything was done to the T and Right!

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement