How many miles between Oil changes - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Maintenance

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
carbco

Question How many miles between Oil changes

I didn't find the oil change interval in my owners manual. It refers to the maintenance minder in the dash but how many miles do they recommend between oil and filter changes? I now have 600 miles on the car. Thanks for your information. Central Oregon
carbco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
ogbatman

We went at 3k miles and the service manager told us since the oil life meter on the CT read only 50% we should come back when it reaches 15%. On these cars its no so much the miles anymore but the oil life it self.
ogbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
CPNY

I have gone a little over 1,000 miles and the gage says 90% life. It is mostly highway miles. I assume that the car came with synthetic oil and that is why the life is longer?
CPNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
jcg

Default Oil change

Just took mine in for an oil change.

CT is one year old.
Odometer reads 8200 miles.
Oil life was at 30%.
Probably 85% highway miles.
jcg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
ogbatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post
Just took mine in for an oil change.

CT is one year old.
Odometer reads 8200 miles.
Oil life was at 30%.
Probably 85% highway miles.
So they changed your oil according to age than miles.
ogbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
jcg

Default Oil Change

Correct. Owners manual says to change oil based on dashboard readout or after one year. Which ever comes first.
jcg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Xaque

Go by the oil minder on the dash. The wrench light and type of service required will be displayed on the dash when it is time.

Instead of judging only by miles driven, the maintenance system in the car calculates oil change intervals by not only miles driven, but total RPMs maximum RPMs, idle times, etc.

It's a much more "accurate" way to determine when a change is needed.

(This is of course aside from the initial break-in procedure for a new CT, which is outlined in the owner's manual.)
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
carbco

Question Oil change interval

The Honda engineers must be making some incredible engines. Was concerned on the recommended oil 0-20wt. Yikes that's thin! Seems Ok for winter but what about summer? Went on the Honda website and I see that their oil is over $14.00 qt.. I couldn't find anywhere if it's full synthetic or a synthetic blend. Does anyone know? Seems like that cost is reasonable if you only have to change once a year. I see that this oil seems to help mileage. Less fluid resistance in engine? We sure are enjoying the CT. It's really quiet and not as much road noise from the tires as Hondas we've owned in the past. That was the only problem I had with Honda was the road noise. Getting better and better. Will continue to purchase Honda and Toyota as I'm thinking that nearly all of their parts are not made in china. I see where Government Motors are Manufacturing their car parts in China and shipping them here to the U.S and assembling them. Maybe for import duty advantage? Well the Japanese ate our lunch when they brought their cars here and showed their quality compared to the U.S. built cars and now the Koreans are going to do the same thing. When will the U.S. manufacturers learn??
carbco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Steady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque View Post
Go by the oil minder on the dash. The wrench light and type of service required will be displayed on the dash when it is time.

Instead of judging only by miles driven, the maintenance system in the car calculates oil change intervals by not only miles driven, but total RPMs maximum RPMs, idle times, etc.

It's a much more "accurate" way to determine when a change is needed.

(This is of course aside from the initial break-in procedure for a new CT, which is outlined in the owner's manual.)

So the type of oil one uses (dino / synthetic) never comes into play? In all of my cars I run Mobile1 and normally change the oil between 8,000 and 10,000 miles. But if the CT will decide regardless of oil type then I need to rethink this as I am ok paying more for synthetic because I can run it longer...
Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Xaque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady View Post
So the type of oil one uses (dino / synthetic) never comes into play? In all of my cars I run Mobile1 and normally change the oil between 8,000 and 10,000 miles. But if the CT will decide regardless of oil type then I need to rethink this as I am ok paying more for synthetic because I can run it longer...
Correct, the maintenance minder system in the CT does it's calculations based on the use of the recommended 0 weight oil.

(As far as I know) There is no way to stipulate another weight oil in the carputer.
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Steady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque View Post
Correct, the maintenance minder system in the CT does it's calculations based on the use of the recommended 0 weight oil.

(As far as I know) There is no way to stipulate another weight oil in the carputer.
I was referring to synthetic vs dino oil - not necessarily a different weight.

Thanks for the info
Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement