Stereo no mid-range? - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > In Car Tech Gear

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Crusader762

Default Stereo no mid-range?

The stereo cranks, but all the guitars in the music have no balls. It's like there is no mid-range and the treble, even when turned down, stings the ears. You can turn the treble down to like -2 or -3 and it still sounds tinny even though you can barely hear the symbols.

Any suggestions on how to set the stereo?
Crusader762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Xaque

I had a complaint about the high end when I first bought my car.... I mentioned it in this thread:

http://www.crosstourownersclub.com/f...light=settings

I will say that I don't seem to notice it anymore... which is interesting...

*shrug*
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Crusader762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque View Post
I had a complaint about the high end when I first bought my car.... I mentioned it in this thread:

http://www.crosstourownersclub.com/f...light=settings

I will say that I don't seem to notice it anymore... which is interesting...

*shrug*
Maybe after a while you fried your ears to high pitched sound?

This really is a shame. I can barely hear guitars and mid-range even when I cut down on the treble. Very odd. I wish there was a way to tweak the internal EQ with more than just Bass and Treble.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Crusader762

Has nothing to do with the tweeters, I think. Even with the sound all the way to the rear and the treble all the way down there is a terrible high frequency. It's so bad I get tinnitus (ringing in the ears) even at normal listening volumes. If I ignore it I get a headache. Went to the dealership, they replaced my tweeters, apparently they were blown. Thought that would fix the problem. It didn't. If anything the hands free link is even worse with the ringing feedback noise because it has fresh tweeters up front. Now I know why they were blown. They are so over-driven with high pitched sound. I spoke to the top guy at the dealership and we listened to another CT. Same thing. I should have leased, not bought. Should have just gone with Ford. I can't afford to put some fancy new stereo in this thing. If I did it would probably wouldn't be compatible with the Navi.

The stereo is worse than junk, it's unusable, possibly even hazardous. I think I may look into some sort of consumer protection org. See if this stereo actually poses a health hazard to the ears at normal volumes. Unfortunately the lemon law probably doesn't apply to car audio systems. I would love to get a full refund.

I bought the car to replace my pickup truck because it has a back seat. My wife is due on Christmas and I wanted something I could safely carry the kid in. I couldn't imagine playing music for my kid and subjecting him/her (it's going to be a surprise) to this torture. Although I probably wouldn't because I don't (can't) even listen to the stereo anymore. I can't take the headaches and tinnitus, not to mention how angry I get when this happens. This has COMPLETELY ruined the experience of buying my first new (and first foreign) car.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
ogbatman

Just bought my 2012 this month have no issues with the radio. Should take it to an after market shop see if they know what the probem is.
ogbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
RyansQuick6
Super Moderator

Sounds more like an audio processor issue. Speakers don't just blow, and certainly not in pairs, when they are that new. Something had to cause them to fail. It's like constantly replacing a fuse insteading of locating the short.

An amp may actually be what is defective and they are known to whine through the speakers when they have issues. Find a better dealership to deal with, the one you're using just may have a garbage service department.

With as many post as I'm seeing regarding the issue, it seems to be pretty common

Last edited by RyansQuick6; 11-06-2012 at 03:14 AM.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Snills

OK,

I have the same problem (EVEN AFTER NEW FOCAL SPEAKERS, AMP ETC.), I even had my ears checked to be safe.

I finally bought a cheap EQ (clarion eqs746) and narrowed it down.

Solution: The head unit puts out way too much in the "ear splitting" 2.2KHz range, and other frequencies around 16kHz are almost non-existant.
1. Turning down 2.2KHz all the way on my EQ helped.
2. But it wasn't until I bypassed my Head unit completely (iphone into EQ Aux in), that I heard all the lows highs and seperation I expected.

I just bought an MS8, which should solve this problem once and for all.

Good Luck,
Bill
Snills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
friedrice19

Thanks Snills,
I agree on the CT sound EQ being too skewed in the highs. I am thinking of upgrading my speakers and audio processor after Cnet on cars did a bit on car audio last week.

If upgrade my speakers and add a audio processor, does this ruin the car's built-in noise cancellation (ANC)?

Mods:
HID, lows, 50W H11, 4300K w Clear lenses
HID, fog, 35W H11, 3000K
EXLedUsa-DRL Premium switchback
Slotted brake rotors
OEM Cargo cover
Acura TL Swaybar
exLEDS interior
VLEDS Tritons V3-backup and turns
JBL GTO 608C, front
Pioneer TS-CX7, center
OEM, rears (to keep Active Sound Control)
Sound deaden floors + doors
Silent Running in wheel wells
AudioVox Mediabridge
Lloyd Mats

Future
RV6 v.3 J Pipe (w type S badge)
Footwell lighting
friedrice19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
BlackBetsy

I am new to the CT's, but I really think the stock speakers are very weak for the new price range the car is in.
BlackBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #10
Crusader762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snills View Post
OK,

I have the same problem (EVEN AFTER NEW FOCAL SPEAKERS, AMP ETC.), I even had my ears checked to be safe.

I finally bought a cheap EQ (clarion eqs746) and narrowed it down.

Solution: The head unit puts out way too much in the "ear splitting" 2.2KHz range, and other frequencies around 16kHz are almost non-existant.
1. Turning down 2.2KHz all the way on my EQ helped.
2. But it wasn't until I bypassed my Head unit completely (iphone into EQ Aux in), that I heard all the lows highs and seperation I expected.

I just bought an MS8, which should solve this problem once and for all.

Good Luck,
Bill
What is an MS8? Can you let us know how things turned out and how much it cost? Does your fix nullify the Active Noise Cancellation or the electronics warranty?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #11
Crusader762

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetsy View Post
I am new to the CT's, but I really think the stock speakers are very weak for the new price range the car is in.
It's plenty loud enough for me, I just want it to sound like a normal stereo. Not looking for super luxury high tech quality. I just don't appreciate a 360 watt ice pick!

For a car of this quality I would expect the stereo could be adjusted more than just Bass, Treble, and Sub. When you turn the treble down it also lowers the almost non existent mid-range, yet there is still a high frequency that remains unaffected by lowering the Treble! The type of frequency that rings your ears even at low or normal listening levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement