DIY: step-by-step rear swaybar & endinks upgrade - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Wheels, Tires & Suspension

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
JubileeJack

Default DIY: step-by-step rear swaybar & endinks upgrade

The following is a DIY step-by-step on how to upgrade your OE rear sway bar as well as front and rear endlinks thus allowing for a more controlled ride and better handling.
At first, I replaced the rear sway bar only as the endlinks did not arrive on time and that already made a huge difference as the rear no longer swayed on turns. Once I added the upgraded endlinks, I feel the car is better poised and quite neutral versus displaying understeer as originally tuned from the factory.
I did not change the front swaybar given its already huge stock diameter. The objective of this modification was to balance out the rear handling characteristic of the vehicle by bringing it closer to that of the front and thus providing a more neutral feel.

Rear swaybar: I upgrded the rear stock swaybar to an Acura TL AWD rear swaybar and to accommodate the now thicker bar, I went with Subaru Tribeca front swaybar bushings. (pic 1 - 4)
Rear endlinks: stock endlinks have been replaced with KARTBOY 2008 Subaru WRX endlinks (pic 5)
Front endlinks: stock endlinks have been replaced with RALLITEK front WRX endlinks (Pic 6)

Stock rear swaybar (14mm diameter)

Acura TL AWD rear sway bar (part #: 25300-TK5-A02)

Tribeca bushings incl part #

KARTBOY rear endlinks 2008 WRX (purchased from www.fredbeansparts.com part #: KB-017-08)

KARTBOY supplied hardware but you will need 2 extra bolt just like this one, so take what KARTBOY supplied to your hardware store, and get 2 more along with 2 extra properly fitting nuts..spend the extra $$ and get stuff that is less prone to rust - I think they are 3/8 16 x 2.5 ")

RALLITEK front endlinks (part #: RTK-HDELF)

Step 1: put car on ramp

Step 2: Disconnect sway bar from endlink, and endlink from chassis using 9/16 wrench, use penetrating spray to loosen the rusty bolts.

STEP 3: Replace OE rear swaybar with Acura TL AWD rear swaybar and new KARTBOY endlinks. You will have to wiggle that OE swaybar lots and it 's tricky but there should be no need to remove wheels or undo exhaust. Be sure to put new grease on those Subaru Tribeca bushings (i used ball bearing grease)

Difference between OE and KARTBOY endlinks

Step 4: Repeat the same process on the opposite side. Once done it should look like this (caution: do not tighten/fasten anyone side fully, simply put all parts into place, put all washers & nuts on and loosely assemble as this will allow for an easier fit and adjustment)

Step 5: repeat same process but in the front using RALLITEK front endlink

Difference between OE front endlink and RALLITEK front endlink

TIP: most endlink will have a HEX key hole. This is so that you can insert the hex key into the hole and hold it steady while loosening or tightening with a wrench, as per pic. If you do not do this, the endlink bolts will simply turn on themselves.

Once done with the front endlink, it should look like this
JubileeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
rusty

great job ! love the step by step photo's
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Xaque

Wonderful write-up and great pictures!

I really appreciate it!

Do you care to share what the list price or cost of the parts were?
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
JubileeJack

Thank you for the positive feedback.
Cost was quite good:
1) fredbeansparts.com sold me the KARTBOY rear endlinks for $89 (pair), vs $125 as posted (plus shipping extra)
2) RALLITEK front endlinks were $59 (plus shipping)
3) ACURA TL AWD rear swaybar was < $100 (thanks RUSTY)
4) Tribeca bushings were $20
Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Army Dad

Great job with this JJack.
2012 Ridgeline RTL/ w Navi
Army Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
K3RMiTdot

where u located? i think getting some of the stuff shipped to canada might be a bit more =(

Follow me on Instagram- k3rrmit
K3RMiTdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
JubileeJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Dad View Post
Great job with this JJack.
Thank you.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
JubileeJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3RMiTdot View Post
where u located? i think getting some of the stuff shipped to canada might be a bit more =(
ON, Canada so shipping isn't all that bad. Insist on USPS vs UPS as the latter charges lots for handling.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
K3RMiTdot

KARTBOY supplied hardware but you will need 2 extra bolt just like this one, so take what KARTBOY supplied to your hardware store, and get 2 more along with 2 extra properly fitting nuts..spend the extra $$ and get stuff that is less prone to rust - I think they are 3/8 16 x 2.5 ")

i have very poor english when it comes to reading... not quite sure what this means??

about how long did it take you to do all this?

Follow me on Instagram- k3rrmit
K3RMiTdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
dmac

Jack,

What model year was the TL-AWD swaybar, or does it really matter? How is the ride after the upgrade? Nice pics by the way
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #11
JubileeJack

I used the 2010 TL AWD model 's swaybar, I just ensured both vehicles were of the same generation so as to ensure same width in case engineering sneaked-in and made minor changes. I provided the part number for the TL AWD swaybar so it should all work fine on any 2010 and 2011 crosstours, and most likely 2012 models..

The ride is what it should have been from the factory. I'm very big on suspension and I never lower them as it often offsets the geometry engineered by guys making 3 times my salary but I do like to tweek 'em and I have done so on every car I've owned. On the Crosstour, the upgraded swaybar & endlinks combo removed the excessive side-to-side sway from the back thus making cornering more controlled and linear. These changes are subtle and not punishing but a thicker sway bar from i.e., Progressive would definitely do that which is why I went the prudent/conservative way.

Thanks you for the bit about pics.

IMO, this swap is relatively simple, as per pics, so as long as you have a sense of adventure, it should be smooth sailing but having decent hand tools helps, air tools are overkill unless you're a tech and do this for a living.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
dmac

Jack,

Do you if the Kartboy front-end links will work on the CT? I've looked for the Rallitek @ 3 places and they were all out. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the response to my previous questions.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #13
JubileeJack

Kartboy make many endlinks and yes they would work was initial, you just need to make sure they are the right length and shape i.e., S-shaped, C-shaped, etc.

As for Rallitek front endlinks, just buy from them directly, they are very professional and parts are always in stock. Here is a link to to the part itself.
http://www.rallitek.com/RalliTEK-HD-...ndlinks/p-4269
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
Sebringer

What was the thought behind using the Subaru bushings? Wouldn't the TL bushings work?
Sebringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
JubileeJack

^yes, the regular TL AWD rear bushings would work but the Tribeca ones were made of better material. It 's similar to replacing all your OE rubber suspension, steering, and differential bushing with polyurethane ones, the difference is night and day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement