Engine or Transmission whine at 35MPH - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Ductchman

Default Engine or Transmission whine at 35MPH

I just picked up my new CT - loving it..
However at 35 and 50 MPH on flat road surface (non load) there is a distinct whine, it goes away when under exceleration or when the engine/transmission is under load (going up an incline). I took it to the Dealer and the tech agreed he heard the noise and did not know what it was. When I picked it up later he inidicated he had driven an other CT and it had the same sound - thus he felt is was not an issue. Does anyone else expericene this noise or has anyone found a solution - to me is sounded like a bearing not properly preloaded in the drive train. When you can hear it over the radio - it just does not seem right - then again maybe I am not playing my radio loud enough....

Looking for others who experience the same and have found a solution.

Thanks
Ductchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
CrosstourJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductchman View Post
However at 35 and 50 MPH on flat road surface (non load) there is a distinct whine, it goes away when under exceleration or when the engine/transmission is under load (going up an incline). I took it to the Dealer and the tech agreed he heard the noise and did not know what it was. When I picked it up later he inidicated he had driven an other CT and it had the same sound - thus he felt is was not an issue. Does anyone else expericene this noise or has anyone found a solution - to me is sounded like a bearing not properly preloaded in the drive train. When you can hear it over the radio - it just does not seem right - then again maybe I am not playing my radio loud enough....

Thanks
Don't have that issue
CrosstourJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
rusty

all good here but my radio is always loud ! LOL
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Samsplace

Yes, I have the whine as well, you do have to listen for it but it is there. Purchased April of 2010, took it back to the dealer. Service techs went over the car and drove the vehicle and came back and took the their senior tech out as well. Yes they heard it as well and said it was the design of the transmission, right or wrong they said others did the same thing including the odyssey. I have had no problems and I think the more mileage goes goes on the less the whine, or I have gotten used to it. I do not mind it anymore as I think it is unique to the vehicle.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
friedrice19

I believe the whine you hear is low engine speed rumble caused when the cylinder deactivation goes into 3 or 4 cylinder mode and engine speeds are below 1300 rpm. I get the same sound. It the same sound you get with cars with 4 bangers after moving from a dead stop. I just like to think of the noise as the car operating in its most efficient manner

Mods:
HID 35W H11 Morimotos XB35 bulbs, 4300K, lows, with Acura TSX-R Clear lenses w LED DRL
Slotted rotors x4
Acura TL Swaybar
LEDs: Interior, exLEDS
Exterior - Backup,Turns-VLEDS Tritons V3,
Front win tinted 32%
JBL GTO series
Sound deaden floors, doors, wheelwells, rear w Luxuryliner Pro and Dynamat
AudioVox Mediabridge
Lloyd Mats

Future upgrades:
Quad HID (S2k + FXR)
Bigger wheels
Amp+DSP
friedrice19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Panini8

Quote:

Thanks
I have the noise also.
My vehicle was manufactured in 6/10 and is less than 40K on the O.D.

It's nice to know that I am not the only one that has experienced it.

As a former tech I don't agree that this is " ... not an issue."

Please feel free to chime in.

-Panini8
Panini8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
MertCheney

Mine has the same whine, while I believe it is probably normal for this car it would be nice if the machining was better so that you would not have this noise.

Mert Cheney
MertCheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
dizzyfuzzy

Unhappy Have the condition with my Crosstour and the same response from Honda service

Quote:

Thanks
dizzyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
dizzyfuzzy

MertCheney

Mine has the same whine, while I believe it is probably normal for this car it would be nice if the machining was better so that you would not have this noise.

Too bad for Honda my first and last Honda car
dizzyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement