Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Spoiler/rear crossmember interference damaging paint?

94K views 182 replies 66 participants last post by  Doug67SS 
#1 ·
I'm wondering how many others out there have this problem... When I purchased my Crosstour in Red Tango Pearl it had a small paint problem. On either end of the spoiler/crossmember that bisects the rear hatch glass, there is a tiny area of paint that has rubbed off down to the primer. The paint folks that the dealer works with said it was a design problem and that the spoiler is rubbing on it and removing the paint. I thought it was crazy to have to repaint the whole back end to fix two small areas, so I had them just use touch-up paint (and clear coat). The result looked great. After driving a few miles and looking at it the next day however, the problem had reappeared. Again the paint guys applied touch-up (and clear coat). Again the problem reappeared. They are saying the whole rear needs to be repainted to properly fix the problem. If this is a mechanical design problem with the spoiler however, I don't see why the same thing won't just happen again regardless of how the paint is reapplied. What do you guys think? Has anyone noticed this little paint problem on their Crosstour? I don't know what to do....If it truly is a design problem I don't think repainting is going to help but I have no idea how to get the dealer to fix the problem so that it doesn't return...

#149 ·
I've kept my eye on the corners of the spoiler/hatch seam for weeks now since reading this thread. The same problem now appears on both sides on mine at 1700 miles. Very small, and I wouldn't have noticed it for a long time if I hadn't been made aware of it here.
Thanks to everyone for sharing the knowledge!

#153 ·
I have a problem with mine too. Blk '10. Paint rubbed off down to the metal. I touched it up and seems to be wearing off again. I have since made a conscious effort to close the hatch by pushing on the liscence plate, not the spoiler. Seems like I should not have to do this though. Maybe there will be a tsb soon. Anyone know how to tighten the spoiler?

#158 ·
Paint Issue

I just got my CT back from the dealer they kept it for a week (gave me a loaner). A Honda engineer came and looked at it, came up with a fix then they painted the entire rear section. The fix raised up the corners that were rubbing the paint. I told them early on not to paint it until they figured out how to fix it. They used a thicker foam spacer under the wing. before they raised it you couldn't put a sheet of paper between it. Honda is making the tolerances so close it causes some issues. :)

#161 ·
Update on this issue, my dealership does NOT have any bulletin about this problem, however, teh factory rep in any area will have it okayed as long as teh vehicle is still under the original warranty

#162 ·
I just had mine repaired in August. They had sent it to the body shop, and lo and behold, when they drove it back the paint chips reappeared. They talked to Honda corporate and who told them to replace the spoiler with a new one. I asked them if they made adjustments on the spoiler to address this problem, but the dealership was unaware of any changes to the design of the spoiler. Anyway, they repainted the hatch and reattached the new spoiler. So far no problems...

#163 ·
Spoiler Redesigned

Honda definitely knows about this spoiler interference problem, because they have recently redesigned the bottom edge of the spoiler.
The inside edge of the lower lip has been undercut such that it does not so heavily interfere with the cross member below it.
The earlier 2012 models had the old design, but the brand new 2012 models do have this redesigned spoiler.
I saw it on a brand new one yesterday at Germain Honda in Naples, FL.

#168 ·
Honda definitely knows about this spoiler interference problem, because they have recently redesigned the bottom edge of the spoiler.
The inside edge of the lower lip has been undercut such that it does not so heavily interfere with the cross member below it.
The earlier 2012 models had the old design, but the brand new 2012 models do have this redesigned spoiler.
I saw it on a brand new one yesterday at Germain Honda in Naples, FL.
It would be nice if we could get good high quality photos of old spoiler and new spoiler side by side. . .I've been looking on the web at 2011 and 2012 models and I can't identify a difference that I'm sure someone more familiar with this problem easily could.

#165 ·
I just asked my dealer to fix this while thy had my car for somethig else and they called me the next day and said it's not bad enough for them to fix. They recommended I buy some touch-up paint - as if I could fit touch up paint under the spoiler myself!
#%*&!

#172 · (Edited)
Did the raisins work? lol... j/k

Just checked my 2012 CT, and I didn't get the new spoiler some of the late 2012 models received but I also haven't run into the problem yet. I thinking of putting something between the spoiler and the panel to prevent it from happening. Even though my CT is under warranty, I don't want to deal with getting the paint re-done. Maybe install something like this:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/closed-cell-sponge-rubber-tape/947895

I've noticed Honda tends to skirt many problems with there vehicles, and only choose to address the ones that prove to be a hazardous to driving. My 2005 Acura TSX had a door actuator problem hundreds of other owners had, and there was never a recall. That's prolly how Honda is able to tell it's customers they have the fewest recalls of any manufacturer.

WG

#173 ·
Simplest solution since purchased June 2010 ....

try closing the hatch gently instead of heaving it shut like it's an American SUV whale. My wife and I bring it down to within five inches of closing and let it drop into place with no impact. Has worked for 2 1/2 years ... figured it out in the first week. No brainer.

#182 ·
I think I have better solution which i did on my 13 crosstour yesterday that does not have this problem yet. What I did was loosen spoiler and take a small piece of 3m double faced tape and folded it over and placed it between body sections to give clearance between panels.Honda should be able to figure this out easy enough by installing a gasket between body panels to resolve problem. hope this helps those with this problem

#183 ·
To coin a phrase: "I cried because I had a paint issue on my Red Pearl Crosstour, until I met a man whose Crosstour was black...."
Seriously, I love my black Crosstour but REALLY love the few colors other than black or white I see on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.