Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Spoiler/rear crossmember interference damaging paint?

94K views 182 replies 66 participants last post by  Doug67SS 
#1 ·
I'm wondering how many others out there have this problem... When I purchased my Crosstour in Red Tango Pearl it had a small paint problem. On either end of the spoiler/crossmember that bisects the rear hatch glass, there is a tiny area of paint that has rubbed off down to the primer. The paint folks that the dealer works with said it was a design problem and that the spoiler is rubbing on it and removing the paint. I thought it was crazy to have to repaint the whole back end to fix two small areas, so I had them just use touch-up paint (and clear coat). The result looked great. After driving a few miles and looking at it the next day however, the problem had reappeared. Again the paint guys applied touch-up (and clear coat). Again the problem reappeared. They are saying the whole rear needs to be repainted to properly fix the problem. If this is a mechanical design problem with the spoiler however, I don't see why the same thing won't just happen again regardless of how the paint is reapplied. What do you guys think? Has anyone noticed this little paint problem on their Crosstour? I don't know what to do....If it truly is a design problem I don't think repainting is going to help but I have no idea how to get the dealer to fix the problem so that it doesn't return...

#31 ·
Not sure if anyone else did this but the other day I almost grabed the crossmember to finish shutting the hatch. My hands were full and I did not get a good pull on the inside handle and had too give the hatch and extra push. I stopped myself before I did use the crossmember.
I guess my point is if somone was to use that to shut the hatch it might cause the problem, just a thought

#33 ·
No problem on the CT I picked up yesterday. I'll monitor mine and let everyone know.

Having read this thread I checked some on the lot while shopping for my CT. All of the Demos had the problem, the cars on the lot did not.

#35 ·
ifonline and others -- has anyone had success yet in getting Honda to fix this problem on their Crosstour? What was the fix? My dealer is still saying they'll just repaint (basically the whole back end) which I don't believe will prevent it from happening again...I did confirm that this panel is metal and not fiberglass, so we do need to worry about rust...

#37 ·
My dealer has no new info yet. I have asked every couple weeks to keep them aware. I don't want it "touched up" and have it keep rubbing off.

#39 ·
Just an observation. I'm sure everyone knows that you close the hatch by the handle and if you time it right you can let go and the hatch will close and lock. While showing my wife how to close it she missed a good release the first few times. Her first impression was to then push down on the plastic piece to lock it as the angle of the bottom of it is the most inviting.
I wonder how many people have done this. Also, lot boys who would be opening the hatch to retrieve carpets, etc, or even salesmen, saleswomen doing a demo for a customer. I asked 3 salesmen about the paint chips and all I got was blank looks.

Maybe by mishandling and pushing on it if it knocks it off alignment and then the wind creates a vibration that rubs the paint off.

#41 ·
I have never closed the hatch by the spoiler. I use the handle inside the hatch and a handle attached to the tag that I swiped from the Mercedes I traded in. The defect may surface as a result of closing the hatch (vibrations upon closing), but I don't think it is specifically related to using the spoiler to close the hatch. I firmly believe that this issue is the result of the spoiler flexing and striking the hatch as a result of vibration, either from closing or driving.

#42 ·
For reference, my car was touched up at the dealer's Body Shop and then driven ~2 miles (on a city street) back to the sales lot. When I went to pick it up the problem had returned -- i.e. it was definitely repaired at the body shop (I confirmed it in person) and then after driving it 2 miles it looked like they never did the repair (and the hatch hadn't been opened). They repeated the touch-up process, it made it the 2 miles fine, I picked it up, but by the time I got home (~30 miles on the freeway), the problem had returned...So could be from vibration of the spoiler. Also I purchased mine from Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, CA. I'll have to check but I think my vehicle was pretty old stock relatively speaking (made in Feb. maybe?)

#44 ·
Looks like mine has two tiny spots as well...touched them up with a black Sharpie to see if it rubs off. I'll be watching this thread closely. If it's as widespread as it appears to be, maybe Honda will do recall once a fix is identified?

#46 ·
So far so good, no rub off 60 miles later...The spots were less than half the size of a match head. Nearly impossible to detect after the Sharpie treatment, lucky I got mine in black.

Looks like mine has two tiny spots as well...touched them up with a black Sharpie to see if it rubs off. I'll be watching this thread closely. If it's as widespread as it appears to be, maybe Honda will do recall once a fix is identified?

#47 ·
We now have close to 500 miles on ours. About half of those miles are interstate miles during which we were traveling at speeds ranging from 60 to 80 MPH. We don't have any spoiler marks yet. *fingers crossed*

#48 ·
Agree with the closing hatch vibration theory. You can literally hear the spoiler moving. Solution as already mentioned: bring the hatch down low enough where its own weight closes it. I'll put up with a few fingerprints on the paint or grabbing the license plate (when it finally arrives) if my wife needs to nudge it closed. It works!

#51 ·
going to try mine

Well, I'm off to the dealership tomorrow where they are going to attempt to repair my paint issues with the rear spoiler/ passenger taillight area.
They have plans to sand and paint my CT at the body shop.
I reported the issues to them a couple of weeks ago, and they said that they would contact Honda regarding them, but have yet to hear anything back so they are taking it upon themselves to try and fix it.
I'll let you all know how it turns out and how long it lasts.......I am hoping it will be the one and only time they need to address this issue.:confused:

#53 · (Edited)
I just bought my new crosstour last week and have the spoiler chafing issue along with both tail light assemblies gouging the paint at the forward most radius and the left tail light is recessed into the vehicle body farther than the right. My hood along the edge that is on the drivers side was never totally painted around the radius from the top of the hood to the underside! I am requesting a meeting with the Honda Rep this week! Has anyone else had this many paint issues?

#55 ·
Crosstour Paint Issues

Actually I did notice the green color primer in the tail light section of the vehicle which I thought was wax residue after the pre-delivery detailing. The next day when I washed the car and attempted to remove what I thought was wax is when I knew there was an issue. As for the tail light not fairing the body and the hood missing paint, this was brought to my attention by the paint shop that is going to repair this brand new car. The spolier issue was discovered after reading posts within this forum. I am really disapointed in the overall fit and finish of such a well respected brand name that demands above average prices for their products. FYI - I walked the dealer lot last Sunday and inspected 9 new Crosstours in which all but one had misfaird light assemblies and 4 had paint chipping in and around the left and right rear tail lights. Honda has a real issue with the paint on these Crosstours!

#56 ·
Actually I did notice the green color primer in the tail light section of the vehicle which I thought was wax residue after the pre-delivery detailing. The next day when I washed the car and attempted to remove what I thought was wax is when I knew there was an issue. As for the tail light not fairing the body and the hood missing paint, this was brought to my attention by the paint shop that is going to repair this brand new car. The spolier issue was discovered after reading posts within this forum. I am really disapointed in the overall fit and finish of such a well respected brand name that demands above average prices for their products. FYI - I walked the dealer lot last Sunday and inspected 9 new Crosstours in which all but one had misfaird light assemblies and 4 had paint chipping in and around the left and right rear tail lights. Honda has a real issue with the paint on these Crosstours!
I'm very sorry to hear that you are having trouble. It's really awful to pay a premium price for a bad product.

What is the build date of your Crosstour and the others on that lot? I ask because many of us have later-built Crosstours that do not have this spoiler issue.

#58 ·
I have been pondering removing the spoiler too to see if I can identify the problem and/or a fix....I've just been too busy w/ a newborn to attempt it as of yet!

britye we look forward to hearing how the repair goes. My paint repair was a touch-up only (which didn't work -- problem returned almost immediately) because I was wary of repainting such a large panel for such a small (size-wise) paint issue. It will be interesting to find out if a 'proper' full panel repaint fixes the issue.

#59 ·
I have requested a meeting with the local Honda rep and have been notified that is scheduled for next Friday 9/17/10. My issues are chipping paint around both rear tail lights, left rear tail light no fitting/fairing properly to the body, spoiler chaffing the paint on bith sides, left edge of hood not totally painted (thin paint with visible primer), and the fuel cap door having a rough edge with thin paint. This is terrible fit and finish for the flagship of Accords! I only have 1,000 miles on this car!

#60 ·
I've had my car about 10 days and it has about 500 miles on it and no issue yet with the paint chipping around the spoiler, nor were there any other issues with paint. I am very pleased with the overall paint job on this CT. No orange peel, no runs or chips, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.