Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Crosstour Vibration / Flutter 20 - 25 mph

149K views 159 replies 83 participants last post by  Tour 
#1 ·
I have owned a 2010 Honda Crosstour 2WD EX for a little over one year. There is a slight vibration or flutter felt in the gas pedal and steering between 20 and 25 miles per hour during slight to moderate acceleration or going uphill. Allignment, new tires, tire rotation, and balancing does not fix the problem. It does not necessarily occur during shifting. It is only noticeable on smooth roads after the car is warmed up. The dealer noticed it and provided a transmission computer update that they thought fixed it, but it remains the same.

I noticed a couple of old posts on the web with a similar problem, and wondered if anyone else has noticed this or has a solution? Thanks.

#99 ·
It is hard to find a common thread. V6 with and without AWD, I4 engine, 5 and 6 speed transmissions.

Is the only common link the front axels? Maybe the torque converter or the torque converter lock up programming? An earlier poster claims to have had the issue fixed but we have not seen any follow up from them or confirmation as to what the work order said the dealer changed.

#100 ·
Well, it seems to happen with both I4 and V6 engines, so it would be quite a coincidence for the torque converter to be the problem. I hadn't seen that this happens with the 6-speed transmission yet, which is why the post I commented about wasn't happy news to me.

I wonder if CR-Vs or Pilots have these same problems.

#102 ·
The Accords have a different suspension than the CTs. Not just the double wishbones vs struts up front. The transaxles come into the transmission at different angles because of the difference in ride height, too. And bigger brakes, which are heavier. And... other things, I suppose. So, I'd have to think that any vibrations in the Accords would be coincidental to those in the CTs.

But the AWD (or 4WD) in the CT came from the CR-V, at least at the design level. I don't know how many parts they have in common. My sales guy told me that the CT is based on the Pilot, though. Not sure how true that is.

It turns out that both the CR-Vs and Pilots do have similar vibration issues to these in the CT. The CR-V people actually have a name for this - "harmonic tingling". Cute. I guess all front drive vehicles are susceptible to vibrations of one kind or another, given the transaxle designs. That doesn't mean they're all caused by the same thing, though.

#103 ·
I initially thought the problem would be related to the electronic motor mounts and a failure in a mount or the controller. After reading through the posts I'll be curious to see if the dealer leans towards CV shafts or torque converter. Shudder is definitely worse since dealer flashed computer with updates. Never feel it at highway speeds though. Still love our CT and Honda - have faith the dealer will work through this.

#104 ·
I had this same exact problem with my 10' FWD. So they changed the torque converter and it was gone. But after about 18K miles later, it's back. It's not bad as before torque converter replacement. But I can see it getting worse as time goes. Have you try driving from D3? Does it have the same vibration?

For me when I do it on D3, vibration is non-existent. Only happens on normal Drive/ going slow around 2000 rpm / uphill (when you feel the most).

#105 ·
Diagnosis...torque converter?

Took my shuddering '10 FWD EX-L V6 to the shop this morning; got a call this afternoon that it is the torque converter, covered under powertrain warranty. I'm at 54k miles, so not much time left.

This is the second time it's been in for the same complaint. The first time they gave me the transmission software update...didn't fix the problem but I dragged my feet on getting back in.

I'll keep you all posted on the condition.

#106 ·
Took my shuddering '10 FWD EX-L V6 to the shop this morning; got a call this afternoon that it is the torque converter, covered under powertrain warranty. I'm at 54k miles, so not much time left.

This is the second time it's been in for the same complaint. The first time they gave me the transmission software update...didn't fix the problem but I dragged my feet on getting back in.

I'll keep you all posted on the condition.

Nice to hear that you are getting covered. Luckily my dealer went straight to replacing torque converter without a fuss. But now that it's back. I plan to take it back in.

#110 ·
My problem is still there. I'm getting the thing serviced shortly and I'll see if they have any new ideas.

My wife needed a new car, but she refused to get a Honda due to the experiences I've had with mine. She got a Camry Hybrid. It's getting 41.5 mpg and she likes it a lot.

I thought it would be slow because I had driven a Lexus hybrid and it was a dog. Even though the engine is only a four cylinder, when you add in the electric motors the thing has really good acceleration. Eight year battery warranty too.

#111 ·
Just discovered this problem and this forum. Have a 2013 EX-L v6 fwd. 28k miles. Did the software update, hooked up the machine and drove around. Results to Cal show no issues. Dealer is replacing torque converter now. Wondering about long term results for those with this issue. Seeing lots of solutions, I.e., axels, shafts, TC. This is my first Honda. Dealer has been great, but this sucks. I did like the CRV loaner though a bit small.

#113 ·
Hi, new to the site and CT's. Just picked up a 2010 EX-L. I love the car, except the shaking. The 20-25mph shake isn't a big deal, as it doesn't happen often, isn't very intense (got to be looking for it to think it wasn't just a bumpy road) and lasts perhaps a second. However, the CT shakes above 70mph, and gets worse quickly as I go faster. it is mostly felt in the steering wheel, but as i get to 75-80 mph you can feel it everywhere. it varies in intensity with turns and inclination of the road.

Having read this entire thread, i don't want to dump a bunch of money into new tires, alignment, etc if that won't help. is the highway speed shake related to the 20-25mph vibration? is this something that honda will fix without too many questions? i have a honda lifetime power train warranty and the option to buy an "everything but the kitchen sink" warranty that lasts to 100k miles for the next 30 days. having read this thread i think that i might. thoughts?

other than the shake the car is fantastic. AWD is awesome in the snow (which it seems there is a never ending supply), it's quiet, roomy and the controls are all hand level. everything is great except the vibrator feel at highway speeds.

#114 ·
mine shakes too!!

Hey all. My 2012 V6 AWD CT also has a vibration that is right in between 20 and 25 mph. I was thinking that it had something to do with alignment, tires, etc but just purchased new tires and had everything balanced and aligned and... the vibration is still there. It feels very similar to an alignment issue but only happens in that speed range when accelerating gently. It also seems to be more sever when y car is warmed up. I"m covered under warranty so I've made an appointment with the local service department. From this thread it sounds like the issues could be 1) torque lock 2) axle related. Any other ideas to mention to the service department? I can't tell you how relieved I am to find that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. It's so subtle but really feels like there is something wrong, now that I've ruled out tires and alignment. Will report back with any news, or information from the service department.

#115 ·
2010 CT EX-L 2WD back in the shop for shuddering around 20-25, 40, and 75 mph. This after having the torque converter recently replaced. Just received a call from the advisor; he said he's seen several CTs recently with "noisy axles." Both my front axles are being replaced. I asked if it was a different part they were replacing with and he said it has a new part number. 2,000 miles left on the drivetrain warranty....let's hope this solves it.

#116 ·
Hello all, new crosstour owner here. Just bought a beautiful 2010 EX-L 4WD with 61,000 miles on it. I noticed that slight shutter during a test drive. It didn't happen all the time it was intermittent. The dealer said he thought it might be a tire issue ( improper balance). I've put about 2,000 miles on in the last month and I've only felt it a couple of times. I've had the car up over 80mph with no shutter or vibrations. I'll keep an eye on this issue and see where it goes. I'm interested to see what else this forum comes up with. Good luck all, safe travels.

#117 ·
I own a 2010 CT with 62000 miles and have the same vibration issues. The dealership is telling me its a joint issue. I've seen a few replies here saying they've been told the same thing by their mechanics. Hoping this is indeed the issue and it'll be fixed but worried if this is a design flaw the problem may persist. Anyone hear any talks about a Class action lawsuit? Like the lawsuit that was won for the engine misfire issue.

http://settlement-claims.com/enginemisfire/

These are not cheap repairs and I for one am definitely not happy about paying for these types of costly repairs only 5years and 60K miles into owning what is supposed to be a reliable, long lasting vehicle... Nor do I like to be nickle and dimed by mechanics charging me for their guesses as to what the problem may be.

#119 ·
I have the same issue with my 2012 Crosstour. I thought I was crazy until my wife told me that she feels a vibration and I have never mentioned it to her before. Has anyone figured out what is going on with this? I know how my service department is (they don't like to fix anything) and would like to point them in the right direction. I'm afraid this will get worse and result in a costly repair.

#120 ·
Dealership told me....

i have owned a 2010 honda crosstour 2wd ex for a little over one year. There is a slight vibration or flutter felt in the gas pedal and steering between 20 and 25 miles per hour during slight to moderate acceleration or going uphill. Allignment, new tires, tire rotation, and balancing does not fix the problem. It does not necessarily occur during shifting. It is only noticeable on smooth roads after the car is warmed up. The dealer noticed it and provided a transmission computer update that they thought fixed it, but it remains the same.

I noticed a couple of old posts on the web with a similar problem, and wondered if anyone else has noticed this or has a solution? Thanks.
i also had this issue and the dealer told me it was the ecu and they fixed it for a little bit then it came back and they also told me it was the "electric motor mounts".

#122 ·
Hello! New owner to a 2010 Crosstour EX-L V6 4WD. I noticed the shaking going into work as many of you did (Between22 and 27mph). If I had known the issue before driving it out of the lot, I would have not purchased this vehicle without the issue getting resolved.

Like many, Dealership did transmission update which did nothing. Then they kept insisting nothing was wrong like many of you heard. I was finally able to replicate the shaking with the tech in the car and his eyes was wide open.

Got the call today and they will be replacing drive shafts next week so we will see how this goes. Will update once it is done.

#124 ·
Had a similar issue where the car would surge at low RPM's and right around 25MPH, I fixed it by replacing the spark plugs. only the back three look to be bad causing a miss when some of the cylinders shut of in ECO mode. I just replaced all 6 and I was right around 70000 miles.

Hope this helps!

2010 Crosstour EXL 4WD

#127 ·
Panthos, thanks for the suggestion. I will have my honda dealership do this and see if it helps. WHen you say "Honda synthetic ATF DW-1 + adding the additive for torque converter shutter"What additive should be put in the torque converter? Is it something I can do myself? My Xtour came with a 30 day warranty and still under warranty so I want to make sure Honda covers this.

#128 ·
If you want to do it yourself, this is what I used and you only need 1 bottle per fluid change. http://www.amazon.com/Gunk-M1410TS-Automatic-Transmission-Treatment/dp/B000CPJLEY

The mechanic at my Honda dealer highly recommended the torque converter additive which I purchased there at the dealership (but it was a different brand). I would just buy everything at the dealer ASAP and do it yourself or have them do it. If it does help it (and I think it will), then next time you can comparison shop online for the products and save a little. I have driven about 28K miles since I bought it used and the flutter has not returned (knock on wood) :eek: The ATF has been changed twice. Let me know the results (fingers crossed). As far as warranty goes, maybe if they do the service and it fixes the problem, then they might cover it? Worth a shot.