Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Spoiler/rear crossmember interference damaging paint?

94K views 182 replies 66 participants last post by  Doug67SS 
#1 ·
I'm wondering how many others out there have this problem... When I purchased my Crosstour in Red Tango Pearl it had a small paint problem. On either end of the spoiler/crossmember that bisects the rear hatch glass, there is a tiny area of paint that has rubbed off down to the primer. The paint folks that the dealer works with said it was a design problem and that the spoiler is rubbing on it and removing the paint. I thought it was crazy to have to repaint the whole back end to fix two small areas, so I had them just use touch-up paint (and clear coat). The result looked great. After driving a few miles and looking at it the next day however, the problem had reappeared. Again the paint guys applied touch-up (and clear coat). Again the problem reappeared. They are saying the whole rear needs to be repainted to properly fix the problem. If this is a mechanical design problem with the spoiler however, I don't see why the same thing won't just happen again regardless of how the paint is reapplied. What do you guys think? Has anyone noticed this little paint problem on their Crosstour? I don't know what to do....If it truly is a design problem I don't think repainting is going to help but I have no idea how to get the dealer to fix the problem so that it doesn't return...

#4 ·
The dealer will fix the problem on his/Honda's nickel, but the service guy just sees it as missing paint and thus in need of repainting. I believe the problem will come right back, regardless of the method used to apply the paint. I think something needs to be done to how that spoiler is attached to the car. I'm wondering if I have a unique problem or if it is more widespread w/ Crosstour owners...And I don't want the hassle/worry of getting the whole back end painted for two small chips if I don't think that will solve the problem in the long run.

#7 ·
I found the damage on my Crosstour, and here is a photo to help others look on theirs:

I took my Crosstour to the dealer where I purchased it, and he seemed genuinely interested in the issue. I explained that it doesn't look like much now, but given time, it could turn into a potential disaster if rust takes over. I also explained that any re-paint would likely be in vain as the spoiler will continue to rub against the new paint until it too is rubbed away (just like the factory paint has rubbed away). Bear in mind that my car is only just over a month old.

He agreed, and asked if I could leave the car for a bit. When he gave it back, he had the body shop look at it and photograph it so they could send the details to Honda. He said the repair would be covered, and that they would be contacting Honda about a permanent fix.

Let's see just what happens...

If you find this damage on your Crosstour, please take your vehicle to your dealer and have them document it. The more that document this damage, the more likely Honda will respond to the issue.

#10 · (Edited)
ifonline, that is the same place as on my car.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Automotive exterior

After the 2 touch-ups, it is currently worse on the right side.
Right side: Red Pink Vehicle door Close-up Material property
Left side: Red Pink Close-up Material property Textile

(sorry I'm not sure how to make the pictures show up larger on this site after uploading...)

I'll be very interested to know what your dealer says since mine has been unresponsive to anything but continuing to repaint...I hope they come up with a solution. And it would be great to get confirmation that it is a fiberglass piece on the car as I'm just worried about rust as well since the defect is visually so small (ie. only I notice it).

#11 ·
I think I'm going to ask for the spoiler to be removed, and all spots where there is wear, I want sanded down to increase the clearance, and then repainted.

The only other issue I can see is either the foam between the two pieces isn't stiff enough, or the torque on the attaching hardware isn't sufficient.

#14 ·
Thanks for the pics. I checked mine and I do not have this issue currently (I've had the car for 1 month and 2 days), but I'll now be obsessed with looking for this.

I can only imagine that if something is not tightened down enough, it will vibrate to the point of rubbing the paint off. I wonder if my spoiler is just tighter than the others?

#18 ·
I noticed it this week on my CT, and stopped by the dealer. They offered to touch it up, but I question the value of that at this point. They were genuinely interested in finding a fix. They offered to have the regional rep see it next time he comes through. Maybe we'll have a fix yet!

#19 ·
I spoke to my dealer rep today, and he told me that Honda America is prepared to fix the issue, but wants to research a fix that won't require follow-up repairs. So far, it seems like Honda is interested, but I suppose time will tell.

#23 ·
I'm going to see about contacting a rep at Honda North America, and at least seeing if we can get some more input from them. Dealer reps and service writers aren't generally the fastest means of getting a problem solved.

#24 ·
I have noticed the spoiler spots, but also a spot where the paint is missing just around (topside) of my passenger side tailight.
I'll try to attach a photo or 2 if the rain ever stops around here.
Meanwhile anyone else noticed anything around the tail lights?

#25 ·
Yes, I also have the chipping around the passenger taillight. When my district rep looked at the spoiler a couple weeks ago, I also showed him the taillight. It is some kind of clearance issue between the light and the body, not uncommon on the coupes either. He agreed Honda would fix both when they engineer a fix to the spoiler. Just a waiting game now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.