Brake/Rotor Install - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
Taylor263621

Default Brake/Rotor Install

Im planning on swapping out my brakes/rotors on my 2011 CT next month and wanted some insight. Should I stick with OEM or venture into the after market:

Autozone - Duralast
Brakes: (F) DGC1089 $56.99 ~ (R) DCG1086 $49.99
Rotors: (F) 44583DG $140 ~ (R) 44693DG - $98
Total: $ 345 before tax

or

Tire Rack
Breembo Ceramic Brake Pads 50+68
Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors 94+86
Total: $298 before tax

OEM
Front Pad: 45022-tp6-a60 = $44.30
Front Rotor: 45251-t0g-a00 = $171.48
Rear Pad: 43022-tp6-a01 = $47.41
Rear Rotor: 42510-tp6-a00 = $172.94

Total:
$437 before tax

I've always bought OEM over the years and never trusted aftermarket parts, especially engine/mech parts. As of late I feel that aftermarket parts have much improved over the years and would consider buying pads/rotors aftermarket. Above I have listed 2 other aftermarket options and slightly cheaper....Is it worth buying OEM pads/rotors or aftermarket pads/rotors suffice?

Thanks,
Steve
Interior LEDs: Ebay/China
Honda Backup Camera/Smart Rear View Mirror

Future:
Tint front windows to match rear
Power Side Mirrors
Power Lift Gate

Taylor263621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
GL84

If you have trust issues, maybe you won't want to do it, but I actually have a set of aftermarket slotted and drilled rotors sitting in the apt. ever since I went BBK lat fall (just never had the time to sell them).

In any case, as for advise goes, go check out: http://brakeperformance.com

I got my first set of drilled / slotted rotors there, ate them up fairly quick cause I was running EBC yellow stuff pads and braking pretty hard with full load on long trips, etc. So I'm not sure if that's how you drive etc.

Honestly if you're happy with the brake performance and feel of OEM, I'd stick with it.
I wanted stronger braking performance because I do load up my ride a few times a year and drive fast and hard, as well as through mountains.
CSS Custom Springs +20% Spring Rate | PB-Brakes BBK F 380mm 8Pot / R 356mm 6Pot | 20mm Rear Swaybar from Acura TL
20" TSW Nurburgring (Gunmetal) Wheels | 245/45ZR20 Continental Extremecontact DSW Tires
GL84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

I’ve been using the new Wagner OEx and found them to be of superior quality. I would consider them a top street brake pad.

The police cars I work on have been using Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Brake Pads for many years. A very heavy duty brake pad.

If you feel comfortable (for whatever reason) with OEM pads, I would go with that. You already know how they feel, how long they last and so on.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Taylor263621

No i do not drive hard, but definitely drive my car everyday and trips on weekends to NYC etc. The OEM last, but wanted to save a little a money and try tireracks items.
Interior LEDs: Ebay/China
Honda Backup Camera/Smart Rear View Mirror

Future:
Tint front windows to match rear
Power Side Mirrors
Power Lift Gate

Taylor263621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
GL84

Well, saving money is fine.

But you will be taking the risk of not liking the feel, or sound of certain pads.
CSS Custom Springs +20% Spring Rate | PB-Brakes BBK F 380mm 8Pot / R 356mm 6Pot | 20mm Rear Swaybar from Acura TL
20" TSW Nurburgring (Gunmetal) Wheels | 245/45ZR20 Continental Extremecontact DSW Tires
GL84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 AM   #6
JOsworth

Well, considering that the OEM doesn't make brake pads or rotors, even new cars come with aftermarket brake parts. That said, finding out who the supplier is can be a bit of a chore since an OEM doesn't really share that data freely. Mainly so they can change supplier mid production if need be. That said, I am fairly certain from multiple sources that Akebono is the OEM supplier for our cars. Just checked, and the Akebono front pads on Amazon are 40.63 a set. So, less expensive than any of your listings and still OEM.

As for the rotors, I haven't figured that out. I did buy the Centric discs and am disappointed in their performance. They have only been on for a year and have warped. I will admit that I am very heavy on brakes and am used to having to constantly replace components because of vibration. My next set of front rotors are here and I will install them shortly. They come from a company called R1 Performance. They are on the web. I got a set of their slotted rotors for the front. They market a quality product. I first became aware of them on the forum for LX Chryslers when I had my 300. I used their standard rotor and was very happy with how they held up.... but the Chrysler also had massive OEM brakes... not surprising considering the 300 is basically a Mercedes engineered car.

Hope this helps..

Jeff

2010 Honda Crosstour EX-L AWD
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5S
1985 Dodge 600ES Turbo Convertible (41k and holding)
JOsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement