Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Snow ride... take it easy (and 4WD does awesome)

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  GL84 
#1 ·
Had 4WD fun over the holidays this year. Sorry for the Foghat reference in the title but it definitely holds true- go slow in the snow and you won't end up beached in a plowed snow bank or stuck down a hill off the road!

We stopped by Savage River Lodge (SRL) in Western MD on our way to Mountain Creek Cabins near Cheat Lake in WV. The staff we talked to were stunned that we stopped in, just passing though because in the prior 24-hours they had pulled 29 cars out of their ~3 mile private road (that they clearly mark as 4WD only during winter months).

We headed out to our final destination and after making it off SRL's private road, we happened upon a beached Subaru, freshly hung up in a plowed snowbank that wasn't going anywhere without a tow.

Getting to the cabin was an adventure... down a twisty and narrow sort of "maintained" road that went on to an even narrower and more challenging farm road. The best part of the drive was very close to the cabin: a hairpin turn on a downhill that sloped away! I made it no problem and we parked got settled.

Day 2 we drove to Morgantown and headed back ~3 PM. On my second approach, going very slowly we lost traction at the apex of the hairpin turn and slid into the 1st cabin's parking area between 3 cars. I probably could have made it out without assistance but a car was close enough on the down sloping left of me that a couple of gents from the cabin gave a bit of a push to ensure we stayed clear. We thanked him and went on our way. Within the next few hours 5 cars ended up in the same predicament. Two of them had to be rope towed out with a 4x4 truck (one was a Subaru newer than my 2010 CT).

It snowed another 3+ inches on New Years eve and we had no problem getting out the next day (other than stopping twice to help push a car in front of me that got stuck).

We stopped back at SRL on the way home. The cross country skiing conditions were excellent. Stayed for lunch and headed out. On the trip down their private road a Jeep was coming in hot around a turn and I had to stop on an uphill climb. Had to back up a bit to get enough traction to proceed up the hill after the bloke in the Jeep moved over enough so I could pass without clipping mirrors or worse.

CT 4WD gets two thumbs up from me...

See less See more
#2 ·
I found in the post christmas storm here that the thing goes great but with the OEM Michelins wouldn't stop worth a damn. Heavy car, small treads full of slush.

It sits out front now waiting for the next snow with $800 worth of rootin, tooting, ice and snow tires. Looking forward to it.

#3 ·
I usually cringe when the forecast calls for snow, but now that I have my new CT, I'm waiting impatiently for it to come! I want to try it out and see how it handles!! i was so disappointed when the forecast changed yesterday and today. I had been looking forward to snow! Now I just gotta wait longer :-(

#5 ·
Yes- at the entrance for a couple 100' until after the big right turn and when leaving the lodge for maybe half a mile. It is one of our favorite places to stop in the area. The other one is The Henhouse on the opposite side of route 68 (same exit) for a winner of a chicken dinner!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

#7 ·
Today in the south we received 11 inches of snow. This is my first year with the Crosstour. Previous to this I had a CRV-1998 model. I literally plowed snow up and down hills with my 2012 Crosstour. I could not be more pleased. :D
Nice!

Hardly got any snow up in the Washington DC metro area from this storm :(

#8 ·
What tires you running for that kinda winter trip?

I'm running 245/45R20 Continental Extremecontact DWS... definitely very different than the Michelin Latitude Tour HP OEMs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.