Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Braking and handling upgrades

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  GL84 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a '12 Crosstour 4wd v6. Like the car, like the ride, love the utility. Hate the underpowered brakes, hate the amount of sway at highway speeds. Couple questions for you guys and gals. What's your brake upgrade of choice and have you gone front and back wheels or just fronts? I see the Acura TL sway bar is popular, what else are y'all using to firm up the handling? I'm just talking side to side sway, I like the softer suspension overall.

Bought this car "Honda certified" at 33k miles. I've had highway speed brake shudder from 60-80mph occasionally since I bought it. Is this normal? Shouldn't be, right? I've been a couple shops and they've said my alignment is good and brake life is good, everything looks good overall.

Thinking of keeping this car for awhile. Any upgrade advice you can give me would be appreciated. 5 speed tranny is not great, mileage hovers around 20, but seems cheap to own and operate. Have had Wrx, civic si, vw Gli in the past. I know the thing isn't a sport sedan but I wanna improve high speed road feel without spending a grand.

#2 ·
I would strongly suggest the TL sway bar. It will help with your side to side sway.

As for the brakes, could someone have already replaced the brakes? Perhaps with something non-OEM? I'm hearing good thing about the new Wagner OEX brake pads for better stopping.

#3 ·
1) Get the TL Bar before you do ANY other suspension upgrade... then see if you need to go further or not.

2) Wagner Thermalquiet Ceramic: Loud... and horrible stopping power...

Maybe try their semi-metallic? Duno...
but I'd take OEM over that Ceramic any day of the week...

I'm Running on Yellow Stuff, and I'm very happy with them...
You'll have to get used to the fact that there's less breaking power when brake pedal are pressed lightly... but there's significantly more braking power at medium to high pressure on the pedal.

3) I am the first to test Custom Lowering Springs... and I haven't finished my full review yet, but that can definitely be your next step when it comes to Sway.

The Acura TL makes cornering feel much more direct and firm, but you will definitely still get a fair degree of sway... I'm currently running +20% Front and +25% Rear Spring Rate custom springs... and I fell like if you just got +10% you'd get what you want without going too crazy... these springs I have are a bit too much for what I'm looking for and will downgrade to +15%... As it stands, It would be great driving on mountain roads, but it isn't stable enough on highway at high speeds...

That and the steering input is harsher, so not so easy for my mom to drive for example... I'll keep everyone posted on full review and give my suggestions there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.