Extended warranty - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Blondie

Default Extended warranty

I'm at the dealer now and they want $2600 for. A 6 year 120k
Bumper to bumper waranty. Isn't that high? I'm in Ofallon missouri
Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
gmcc

Yes, mine was $1900 back in DEC. and I think I overpaid
1999 Lexus ES300
1977 Corvette
gmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Blondie

Thanks! Anyone else? I'd like some other recent examples

Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
jnwfla

I am probably a little late, but I don't believe in extended warrantys. Therefore, my example would be zero.
jnwfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
CrosstourJed

I paid around 1900.00 as well for extended Bumper to Bumper warranty. 7 yrs or 100,000 miles
CrosstourJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
chefmark
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnwfla View Post
I am probably a little late, but I don't believe in extended warrantys. Therefore, my example would be zero.
I agree, All the reports I read about extended Warranties is not good and not worth the money. Of course I say that and at 30,001 miles my tranny blows up.
chefmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Army Dad

I paid $ 1,080.00 for an 8 year 120k mile no deductible extended warranty. It is a Honda Warranty also.

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/

Here's the link, I did this last September so price may not be exact. You do it by phone, painless, and they register it with Honda. Good at any Honda dealer.

I live in Georgia and the dealer is in Rhode Island. I saw one for a little more later at an Atlanta Area Honda dealer. Don't remember which one. Plan to keep this one a long time.

If you sell privately it can also be transfered one time to a new owner. There may be a fee for this, don't remember.

Good luck.
2012 Ridgeline RTL/ w Navi
Army Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
808 pirate

Default Extended warranty

I got the 6 year at $1800. Peace of mind costs $.
808 pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
austincrosstour

Again, I think I'm too late here but as someone who works at a Honda dealership I will tell you that it's a wise investment on the Crosstour given it shares the same powertrain components with the Accord, but more importantly that it's LOADED with technical gadgets, be it a navi model or an EX base.

A Service Contract is essentially locking in today's labor rates for the next X amount of years. Anyone with half a brain will tell you things in life cost more today then they did 7 years ago. Also, anyone who has google and can type the words "honda transmission problem" should clearly see that Honda has a trackrecord for crap transmissions and that alone is why I would buy a service contract. My 03 Accord had 2 Transmissions and 2 motor mounts which more than paid for the cost of the extended service plan.

With all that we demand our vehicles do, it's inveitable that something will fail.

That being said, if your dealer offers HondaCare, that's great. However, I have had good success with MasterTech Vehicle Service Contracts. They are backed by American Financial and can only be purchased thru an authorized dealership. It provides exclusionary coverage on new cars; which essentially means, if it's not listed as NOT being covered, then it's covered. Also, you can use it at any A.S.E. certified repair shop, not just the Honda dealer. It gives you a better rental allowance than HondaCare as well.

Oh and if you have a minute, read your warranty booklet; it explicitly states that Honda does not cover wear and tear.

For example... A/C not as cold as it once was? Guess what, until it stops working completely, that's normal wear and tear. A service contract is an agreement to keep the vehicle in like new condition for all covered parts.

Not everyone will see the value in Extended Service Contracts. It's not a tangible asset, it doesn't make you look cool nor does it make you feel good (initially anyways), so it's typically the people who have been burned by a car, or someone who has had a service contract and used it that sees the value in having one.

Shoot, I have one on my leased vehicle ;-).

Off my soap box. Enjoy your cars!
austincrosstour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
drumslinger

Extended warranties are a gold mine for dealers, and waste of money for most people. For every owner who has a major problem, there are hundreds or thousands who never have a problem, and the dealer pockets all the money. No wonder they push them hard. It's no wonder major consumer magazines do not recommend extended warranties.

Bottom line: Take your money and buy a CD or some other financial investment. If your car does break down, use that money. If it doesn't (and odds are, it won't), you end up with a fatter nest egg and smile on your face.

Face it, if extended warranties were a financial drain on dealers, do you think they would push them?

2010 EX-L 4WD Nav, Opal Sage Metallic/black
drumslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
quilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
I'm at the dealer now and they want $2600 for. A 6 year 120k
Bumper to bumper waranty. Isn't that high? I'm in Ofallon missouri
we thought it was a no brainer to buy. It transfers to new owners or you turn it in & get your unused money back, and at the end of 7 yrs, what you haven't used is refunded. If you have not used it at all you get 100% of your money back. It was $1225. I was very happy with our dealer, our salesman, and our trade.
quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #12
CrosstourJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter View Post
we thought it was a no brainer to buy. It transfers to new owners or you turn it in & get your unused money back, and at the end of 7 yrs, what you haven't used is refunded. If you have not used it at all you get 100% of your money back. It was $1225. I was very happy with our dealer, our salesman, and our trade.
It is always good to get a extended warranty. Like someone said earlier, in 3 to 7 yrs things will be higher. If you keep the car you have made a wise decision. If you decide to sell it or trade it in, you will get refunded for what you have not use. I just received a 1000.00 check from BMW for the money I had left on my extended warranty, and it was expiring in May. So I know it's true you will get your money back. Plus if you keep the car and you have EX-L Model with Navi, with all the electronics on it, yes you should have a extended warranty. Because after around 50,000 miles they will NOT offer you one. I know for a fact.
CrosstourJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
Blondie

I opted for the extended warranty. It also came with oil changes w/tire rotation and wheel and tire protection. This dealer is so convenient to me that I know I'll go there for any work that need to be done, so I know I'll get my monies worth from that. Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. So far so good... I'm loving this vehicle.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
edubfromktown

$1,000 or so for 6-7 years is arguably worthwhile... particularly with all the gadgets these days (as austincrosstour said).

Check with your car insurance company too... I switched to Geico car insurance ~5 months ago and they now offer $250 deductible on anything major which is also quite good (if you are concerned about tranny/engine/other big ticket issues).
edubfromktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
ptalar

I just read this thread and I purchased the Hondacare warranty from Saccucci Honda. What a deal for $1080. 120K/96mos/0 deductible. One or two major repairs over a 100K miles can easily top $1080. Its a good deal at that price. At $1800 I would not purchase it. I would take the risk.
ptalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement