Newbie - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > New Member introduction

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
Longboardlouie

Default Newbie

Hi all, hope I can get help & maybe give help here.

My first question is what is the widest tire size I can put on my 2012 cross tour EXL all wheel drive, without losing Tire height?
Thanks.

Last edited by Longboardlouie; 04-14-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added a question
Longboardlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Keep in mind that you are asking for two different things.

Tire width is measured in millimeters like P195, or P215.

Aspect Ratio is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross section to its width. For example: on a P215/65R15, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be.

The last part of the number 15 is the diameter of the wheel.

So to answer your question, if you want the height of your tire to be the same, keep the same aspect ratio. If you want a wider tire, go with a bigger number at the front.

1) Keep in mind that changing your aspect ration will affect your speedometer.

2) Wider tires equals wider contact patch, meaning better traction on pavement. (Not really too important with a CT).

3) Wider tires are worse on slick surfaces. This could be very important depending on your environment.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Longboardlouie

Default Wide Tires

Tyvm Crash,
I've found a sale on a winter tires Hankook I Pike RW11, 255/55/18 65.00 each. I live in Saskatchewan where the snow & ice hang around for 4 or 5 months so these would be awesome for the price.
And switch to summer tires & some nice looking wheels.
Longboardlouie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
JOsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
Keep in mind that you are asking for two different things.

Tire width is measured in millimeters like P195, or P215.

Aspect Ratio is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross section to its width. For example: on a P215/65R15, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be.

The last part of the number 15 is the diameter of the wheel.

So to answer your question, if you want the height of your tire to be the same, keep the same aspect ratio. If you want a wider tire, go with a bigger number at the front.

1) Keep in mind that changing your aspect ration will affect your speedometer.

2) Wider tires equals wider contact patch, meaning better traction on pavement. (Not really too important with a CT).

3) Wider tires are worse on slick surfaces. This could be very important depending on your environment.
Partially true... the important number, not listed on the tire size is OD. That is what will affect your speedo..

Yes, the first number is size (width) and the second, the aspect ratio is correctly described. BUT.... a 245/65 tire will have a larger sidewall than a 225/65 tire giving it a larger OD (65% of 245 is a larger number than 65% of 225). So in order to keep the OD correct, you actually need to go down in aspect ratio as you increase width... IE in the above example, assuming the same diameter wheel, a 245/60 tire is a closer match to a 225/65 tire in OD (within .1 of an inch). Here is a safe web link where you can see the affect of different tire sizes. https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Use the comparison tab...

Also, be very careful when upsizing wheel and tire setups. The things Crassmaster outlined are true, but there is more. Not only does getting bigger and lower profile impact ride and handling, it can actually make the performance part worse.. lowering acceleration and cornering speeds. Here is a great short article done in 2010 by Car & Driver on the topic..
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-tires-tested

Shame it came out after my stints with Accord Coupes. I learned the lesson the hard and expensive way. In short.. the 2003 Accord EX came with 16" wheels standard. I wanted to improve performance and make it look better. I installed 18" wheels with, if I can remember, 45 series tires. Well, it looked cool but drove like total garbage. Rode horribly, tracked in groves, wouldn't hold a balance... etc. But I lived with it. Then I traded it in on a year newer 5sp Coupe in silver.. this time I did the upgrade correctly. Went with just a 17" wheel and that was perfect. Rode nice, but handled better.

While I haven't answered your question directly, hopefully you and others have the tools to make the choice that works for you..

And since every thread needs pictures... LOL... here are my departed coupes.

The white one with 18's

The silver one with 17's.... much better..

Jeff

2010 Honda Crosstour EX-L AWD
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5S
1985 Dodge 600ES Turbo Convertible (41k and holding)

Last edited by JOsworth; 04-15-2017 at 07:03 AM.
JOsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
leew102

If you are talking about putting the 255s on the stock rims, they are too wide for the rims.

The car should have come stock with 7.5 inch wide rims where 235s are the max width tire recommended.
leew102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement