Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Burning Smell from Front of the car

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  chefmark 
#1 ·
Hello. About a week ago, some idiot cut in front of me almost causing a serious accident but luckily we stopped before it happened. I had to slam on my brakes as hard as I could. Seems that after that, I have had issues with the front of the car. A couple days after that, i noticed the car pulling and tire light came on and realized my tire was very low on air. I added air and it seemed fine but now in the last few days when I step out of the car there is this burning smell emanating from the front of the vehicle. The car runs fine otherwise but the smell is a cause f concern, I dont smell it inside the car only outside. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
Considering we have no way of putting your car up on a lift and inspecting it through current forum technology... and considering there is a whole host of potential causes of your symptoms... some of them benign... some of them very dangerous...

Yes.

I think this is the best we can do here.

If I were in your position I would certainly take it to a mechanic and have them poke around.

On the benign end, the hard breaking could have rolled the tire bead and allowed air to slowly escape... the smell could be an unrelated plastic bag that found its way onto your exhaust.

On the serious end, the hard breaking (or striking an object) could have caused damage do your suspension or drivetrain components. The burning may be a CV joint ready to give and allow the wheel to leave the vehicle in a catastrophic manner... perhaps suspension components are bent and the smell is the tire or wheel rubbing against vehicle components.

It really needs to be inspected in person by someone who knows what they are looking at/for.

#5 ·
First off my apologies.....didnt mean to come across that way. This forum and its members have been rather helping and I meant no disrespect in any way.

I took it to the dealer today and it turns out it has on the more benign side of things luckily it was a plastic bag that got caught up in the exhaust and melted.

Thanks again for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.