Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Missing compass

14K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  polishedmetal13 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2013 Crosstour exl that the sticker states a compass as a standard feature, as well as the brochure. I followed the instructions in the user manual to calibrate the compass, but after driving in 2 complete circles, the system just goes back to the audio. Nowhere is a compass indicator displayed.

The salesman can't figure it out and the service people had it for two hours and they can't figure it out or where the indicator should be. My suggestion is that they contact Honda, but they seem reluctant to do that or another dealer with a cross tour exl. Any suggestions?

#5 ·
I'm not sure how different the 2012 is from the 2013, but I have a 2012 w/o navigation and honestly it isn't very obvious where the compass is located. If you look at the dash where the radio display is, look just to the left of the air control display (showing what vents are being used). You should see just the letter of what direction you are facing. It's very easy to miss. My daughter asked "What's that E mean? Then we turned a corner and it changed to N. that is how I realized where the "compass" was. Hope this helps!

#6 ·
Also found this in the manual, which may be why it keeps returning to the radio info:
"When the calibration is successfully completed, the CAL indicator goes off and the compass display will stop blinking and show an actual heading.
The audio system is not related to the compass system. Even if the compass system is calibrating, the display returns to the normal display which you last selected."

#7 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. However, I am still looking for the indicator. I have a display in the center that has info displays, etc. a small display below that shows the inside temperature (dual display far left and far right). Also in this display is the mode as well as the fan sipped. To the vey far right there is a pass airbag indicator. There is nothing to the very far left. It may be that the indicator light is not working. I will keep trying.

Thanks again.

#11 ·
missing compass

Did you get anywhere with this? I have the same issue with my 2013 crosstour. I was at my dealer last week and the service manager and a Honda Rep messed with it for 45 mins and could not get it to show up. It goes to the shop tomorrow for the day.

#12 ·
No I did not. I had contacted Honda directly and they had no idea. So, we took it back to the dealer and he fussed around with it for a couple of hours and didn't find anything. I suggested it was a software component issue, but he dismissed that idea.

My husband took it back and they asked for us to leave it with them for a day. They want to work with the Honda Tech team and the service technician now feels the software may have to be re-loaded. We haven't scheduled that yet,but sounds like your tech rep may be on to the problem. Keep me posted on your status and I'll do the same.

#16 ·
Just got back from the dealer. When I got there they said they had no clue. They had reset everything twice and the compass was still a no show. One of the salespeople came out to the vehicle went into settings on the main screen. Pushed the set to defaults setting under vehicle setting and then the same under audio and the compass showed up. On the main screen the time shows in the upper right hand corner the compass is just to the left of the time. Hope it works for you

#17 ·
Honda needs some help

I too find the compass indication difficult to see. I know where it is, I have looked at it occasionally, but when I want to know what direction I'm going I have to practically stop the car to remember just where to look. It's not like one can glance at it like you're supposed to be able to do while driving. Honda seems to be forgetting its racetrack function knowledge. This isn't a deal breaker, but it's disconcerting to discover that Honda seems to have forgotten things they have already proven they know.

i once had a dog that forgot he knew things too. Had to be constantly reminded that he in fact DID know. But he didn't build cars.

#18 ·
The compass is finally working. It took several hours at the Dealer for them to get it working. They had to re-install software and download some stuff from a Honda site, communicate with the Honda site, etc. The compass indicator is to the left of the time on the main screen as John O indicated in one of his earlier posts. It's fairly easy for me to see. It does appear that the text is larger than it used to be, so there might be a setting for that. Like ARTH said, it wasn't a deal breaker for me either , it's just that if it's on the sticker and I paid for it, I want it! Now I feel that I have gotten everything that I was supposed to get.

#23 ·
On my 2013 EX-L V6 The Compass direction (or any additional information, radio station, volume, etc), does not display on the large screen if you are using the "Wallpaper" option. I like using it for pictures of my Grand-kids! ;)

The additional information does show temporarily when the right side blind spot camera is activated or if you switch to Non-Wallpaper displays....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.