What does D1, D2, and D3 mean? - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
yankeesfan9090

Exclamation What does D1, D2, and D3 mean?

I have 2010 Crosstour 4WD EX-L

I always have in D mode.

however, theres is also a D1, D2, and D3

1. When should i should each one?
2. Which one should i use for snow?
yankeesfan9090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Tucker

D is the normal driving position.
D3 is typically used when towing in hilly terrain or to provide engine braking when going down steep hills, it can also stop cycling between 3rd and 4th when in stop-and-go traffic.
2nd is used when more power is needed when climbing, increase engine braking when going down steep hills, when starting out in deep snow or on slippery surfaces or to help reduce wheel spin.
1st essentially allows you to drive like it is a manual transmission without a clutch pedal

FYI: there are several sites that have loaded numerous owners’ manuals, as PDFs, so searching is easier
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Xaque

Use D1 for everything normally.

D3 prevents the transmission from going into 4th (Overdrive) gear. As tucker said, if you find the transmission "hunting" between 3rd and 4th, then select this gear. (American cars tend to have an "Overdrive Off" button/selector instead.)

D2 locks the vehicle in 2nd gear. From a stop it will begin in 2nd (not 1st) and it will not leave 2nd as you increase speed. As Tucker said, use this for when on a slippery surface (snow, sand, etc). It helps prevent the wheels from spinning too quickly and losing traction.

All gears can be used while descending a steep hill to use engine/transmission braking to slow and control the vehicle (instead of riding and overheating the brakes).

Gears can be changed "on the fly" while driving without issue.

For instance, the other day I had a lot of deep fresh snow I had to pull through in my parking lot when I left work.

I started the vehicle in D2 and once I got clear of the drifts I shifted in D1 and continued on my way.
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
CrosstourJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque View Post
Use D1 for everything normally.

D3 prevents the transmission from going into 4th (Overdrive) gear. As tucker said, if you find the transmission "hunting" between 3rd and 4th, then select this gear. (American cars tend to have an "Overdrive Off" button/selector instead.)

D2 locks the vehicle in 2nd gear. From a stop it will begin in 2nd (not 1st) and it will not leave 2nd as you increase speed. As Tucker said, use this for when on a slippery surface (snow, sand, etc). It helps prevent the wheels from spinning too quickly and losing traction.

All gears can be used while descending a steep hill to use engine/transmission braking to slow and control the vehicle (instead of riding and overheating the brakes).

Gears can be changed "on the fly" while driving without issue.

For instance, the other day I had a lot of deep fresh snow I had to pull through in my parking lot when I left work.

I started the vehicle in D2 and once I got clear of the drifts I shifted in D1 and continued on my way.
Use D1 in normal everyday driving??? I always use D?? Is that wrong?
CrosstourJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Xaque

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosstourJed View Post
Use D1 in normal everyday driving??? I always use D?? Is that wrong?
Sorry sorry sorry!!!!

You are correct. "D" for everyday driving.

Coffee must not have kicked in yet.

Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
CrosstourJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque View Post
Sorry sorry sorry!!!!

You are correct. "D" for everyday driving.

Coffee must not have kicked in yet.

Lol, I was thinking you must enjoy burning your gears out
CrosstourJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement