Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Lowered my Crosstour today, but got some ??'s for those who went before me.

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Deejay 
#1 ·
Got my new forks and struts from the Acura dealer today and installed them. I was expecting a tough job, but was amazed at how easy it was. Each front fork took maybe 10 minutes each to do, and each rear strut too about 45 mins each. (ok so first one was an hour, second only only took 30 mins once I knew what to do!) So total job was less than 2 hours start to finish with me and a helper.

First here are a few pics for those of you considering this (really easy job btw, dont be scared!) but then I have a question for anyone who has done this before.

Here you can see the difference in the front forks.

Here you can see the difference in the rear strut assemblies.

Front before:

Front after: - 2 inch drop exactly.

Rear before:

Rear after: 3/4 inch drop (wtf?)

And complete sideview after:

And now comes the source of my WTF. New struts are exactly 1 1/2 shorter than the old ones, so how the hell did I only get a 3/4 drop? I made sure that the springs were positioned properly, even used the factory paint markings on them, and there is no adjust-ability on either the top 2 bolts, or 1 bolt on the bottom. The 3/4 rear drop is just too little, and I need at least another 3/4 of an inch.

For those of you who have did this before, can anyone share with me what I may have wrong here?

The only suspicion I have, is that perhaps the strut plates arent flat and have a taper to them, so that perhaps I have them in 180 backwards. Was pretty sure they looked like a flat mount, so before I go tearing them out again to spin them around on a guess I figured I would ask first. Anyone have any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Update: After some real world driving, its not clear that the drop up front is too much. I am getting some noticable rubbing even on not very severe potholes, so its back to the drawing board. I think I am going to try fabricating some shims to go on top of the forks to try lifting it maybe 1/2 inch or so, unless anyone has any other ideas :)

#4 ·
I had a company in petaluma ca make new coils.I first cut one coil out of the stock springs but it was way too much plus they couldnt get the camber right.The company is called spring works ,they now have all the info in a computer to make 1.5 inch shorter springs ,I sent them a new set of stock springs for data.I have 2012 and it is just right with 20s no rubbing no bottoming out and plenty of camber adjustment.It was close to 900 bucks but they did them right and the customer service was second to none .Phil is the tech guy over there.I cant find the number but just google spring works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.