Honda Crosstour Forums banner

2013 CT V6 engine hesitation

17K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  GL84 
#1 ·
2013 CT EX-L V6 Navi (2wheel drive) with approx. 3200 mi. The problem is when you go around a corner or make a turn and press on the gas the engine hesitates or bogs down then picks backs up. I have several people advise it is part of the VCM and to live with it. I see that some 2010 models have a vibration problem at certain rpms, but I have no problem with that. The engine seems to almost quit/ lose power. I can't seem to understand why a almost $40K has this type of problem. I'm beginning to think it's a software problem in the ECM. I have tried turning off the VSA and this seems to help but occasionally it still bogs down. Sorry if this is long, but I don't want to drive this thing with this problem and need some ideas.

Thanks for listening.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info Xaque, had not considered that. I'm going to have a talk with my local honda service mgr and see if others are having this same condition occur. I traded in a 2007 TL TypeS for this thing and now realize I might have made a mistake! I never had any problems with it but the premium gas was killing me. I know "U could have run regular in it" but the manual called for nothing less than 91 octane, as did the Acura dealer. Oh well thanks again for the quick answer Xque.

#4 ·
I have a 2010 4wd that hasn't had any vibration issues and definitely no hesitation when cornering. Does your car stutter the same when cornering in either direction and has it done this since you purchased it? Agree that for as much as they cost, I'd be on the dealer like hornet to resolve the issue- it is atypical for sure.

Side note: my GF had an RSX Type-S (that was stolen and gutted with 4 others a couple years ago) and now drives a TSX (both 6-speed manuals). She actually likes driving the CT :D

#5 ·
Yes edubfromktown it has done it from the get go. It does it no matter which way I turn. I compare it to the ol' days when cars with carburetors would bog down just before it would back-fire (if that makes any sense!). Time to see the service mgr or maybe it's just me? My wife loves driving the thing, so I'll stick to my 08 Civic POS!

#6 ·
Go see the service manager... strictly business and explain the situation. If he's trying blow smoke, you call Honda directly and get them involved.

One of my other cars is a 1965 Chevy Corvair. When you posted this issue, it reminded me of a problem that I helped a fellow "unsafe at any speed" enthusiast with where his car would behave similarly; only when turning right. It ended up being a fuel line problem. On modern cars I don't see how that's possible but something is definitely up that needs attention.

eDub

#11 ·
Is it still okay

You are not alone with this problem. I have a 2012 Crosstour that is doing the same thing. If the ECO light is out then it seems to work okay. If the ECO light is on and the car is rolling it will seem to hesitate when I press on the accelerator causing the car to lunge forward when it catches hold. It doesn't do it all of the time but it does it often enough to irritate the dickens out of me. It seems to me that the car is hesitating to shift out of the ECO mode quick enough.

Is your car still okay after having the ECM re-flashed?

#9 ·
I think the hesitation I am feeling is the VCM kicking in. No one told me about this feature and it's not described in any of the documentation that came with the car. Anyway, now that I know what it is, I think it's great (although it would be nice to have the option to turn it off). My previous car, an Acura MDX, died exactly a week ago, it's transmission was flooded with radiator coolant, and I am extremely sensitive to any strangeness in the way a car drives because of that experience. Really digging my new Crosstour.

#10 ·
Is VCM the same as ECO? I asked to have ECO removed and was advised, "no can do"....my first Honda, with 1500 miles. Every bell and whistle including adding rear back up sensors (wasted of money) I am a car princess and I wish the ride was smoother and that when you take your foot off the accelerator as in coming to a red light - the car jerks.
The car likes to hug the road which is great, I will have more to say when it snows and the AWD goes into action....now about the phone system - already had the computer updated and I still think it is an antique...can we turn off the lady communicator?

#12 ·
My A5 does the same damn thing in 2nd gear. Thanks for the input this may have actually helped out with a completely different car.

#13 ·
Just a Note... there was another thread about something similar... and it turns out that you can't touch the break / accelerate at the same time without bogging down the power (as a safety feature).

I drive in NYC, and the lack of smooth power from a standstill is a bit painful... I kind of have to floor it a bit to keep up with the flow of traffic, but once it gets going, going in and out of ECO doesn't seem like an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.