Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Honda Nav Disc

14K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  pshivers 
#1 ·
Dear Honda,
I really like you’re the Navigation system in my Crosstour. There is one issue and that is with the update discs and the pricing. $149.00 is way too much just too much to pay per year and free shipping really is an insult. I know you use a 3rd party company to supply the updates so, maybe you might want to look at talking to them about lowering the actual cost. I will not purchase an update till you know what freezes over or California falls into the ocean.

Thank You,
Lost in America

#2 ·
I won't run another factory navigation system ever again. Of all the systems I have used, Honda's is probably the least user friendly, and most inaccurate I've ever dealt with. The update cost make it that much worse.

I have a kenwood touchscreen in my mustang that runs Garmin software. It's literally the easiest system ever, and rated that way by many of the industry magazines. The updates are free and they email me when they become available. I just load them to a memory card and pop the card into the nav unit and run the update. I've had that system for about 7 years now. It's up to date and I didn't spend $1000keeping it that way.

The most expensive Garmin stand alone unit is only $500 and I can take it with me wherever I go. The only reason I'd ever do a nav unit from the factory again is because of the screen for the backup camera, that's it.

#6 ·
I did check around at other auto manufactures and they all charge about the same. Chevy was the highest at 199 bucks, it just seem outrages for updates. You could buy a new Garmin every 2 or 3 years for that kind of money.
I agree, not the best system and the only redeeming factor is the back-up camera.

I agree with both of you. I always take my Garmin with me on trips, anyway. It's just easier to use by far and has traffic info. I've had it 3 years and when it starts acting up I'll buy a new one.

#7 ·
I like my nav system. The backup camera is really nice and the nav screen is always easy to see. It seems to be as accuraate as any gps unit. I use a Garmin for work and I can tell you it can take you on some strange routes if you don't pay attention. You don't have to upgrade every year. Realistically every two to three years will work. Just my two cents.

Mert Cheney

#9 ·
Mert, it could be operator error on my part but if I put in to find a Costco, it will give me ones in Ohio, when I live in So Cal. I just get sick of it. If I have an address it works fine but that's about the only time it's useful to me.

#10 ·
The Nav disc I got from ebay came yesterday. Stuck it in the DVD Player and off she went. Down loaded the new software and fired right up like the old disc. I did check out a few things like, there is a new Restaurants that is less than a year old and they had it listed. Plus when I go to work there are some new roads that were not on the Original disc but are now listed.

#11 · (Edited)
Places

The thing that bothers me about the Nav is that it has a Places feature. If I'm driving, and want to go to the nearest Dunkin Donuts, I'll enter Dunkin and then Dunkin Donuts will come up. A whole slew of them. But they will be in different states. Whats the point of that when there is one 2 min away but I don't know where it is. I had the same problem when l was looking for a Toys R Us. It gave me choices in Maryland....awesome, but I'm in PA

If I use the City or Address feature (Forget what its called), then I have to know the address. The Nav system to me seems great....if you know the address. Then again, I've never used anything else besides Iphone maps and this seems way better.

#15 ·
Don't trust ebay, have gotten burned there, so coffed up for the 2013 DVD from the Honda site. Only problem I have is whjere to install it. No help in the 2012 owneer's manual I have. Where the heck is the DVD player located?
Well the disc is working, I did try out a few things and all is good. I know it is either a copy or fell off the back of a truck heading to Ohio.

#17 ·
DVD player is located next to the main storage compartment. There is a small cover to the right of the main storage compartment. It has a small black tab sticking up for removing it. There is a DVD sticker on it. I couldn't get the door open and I didn't have my keys which suspects me to believe that the ignition might have to be on to use the DVD.

Good luck.

#18 ·
DVD player is located next to the main storage compartment. There is a small cover to the right of the main storage compartment. It has a small black tab sticking up for removing it. There is a DVD sticker on it. I couldn't get the door open and I didn't have my keys which suspects me to believe that the ignition might have to be on to use the DVD.

Good luck.
Correct, ignition need to be on and first you open the door then once in there is another small button that ejects the DVD.

#19 ·
#20 ·
It's the real disc, it's installed and it works perfectly.

#22 ·
Thanks to the OP for getting us thinking about creative ways to obtain the NAV update. I scored one yesterday for my 2010 4WD CT.

#26 ·
I could not justify the cost of NAVI on my 2013. Nor was I pleased with the dumbed down functionality of the Honda branded GPS. The '13 CT comes with the backup camera as standard equipment (Navi or No Navi) as well as a right hand blind spot camera.

My Navi solution was simple, use my Garmin Zumo 665 that I am already using on my Honda Goldwing Touring bike.

It is a high end GPS with Lifetime Map update as part of the purchase. It also has XM Traffic and XM Weather that alerts me to road hazard on my route. It also has XM radio that I don't use in the CT as I prefer the CT XM music controls and I don't have to plug into the AUX input in the console.

Honda offers a GPS on the Honda Goldwing that most Wingers have low opinions of also, (Low functionality and High Price), sometimes I think Honda just doesn't get it... :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.