Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Spoiler/rear crossmember interference damaging paint?

94K views 182 replies 66 participants last post by  Doug67SS 
#1 ·
I'm wondering how many others out there have this problem... When I purchased my Crosstour in Red Tango Pearl it had a small paint problem. On either end of the spoiler/crossmember that bisects the rear hatch glass, there is a tiny area of paint that has rubbed off down to the primer. The paint folks that the dealer works with said it was a design problem and that the spoiler is rubbing on it and removing the paint. I thought it was crazy to have to repaint the whole back end to fix two small areas, so I had them just use touch-up paint (and clear coat). The result looked great. After driving a few miles and looking at it the next day however, the problem had reappeared. Again the paint guys applied touch-up (and clear coat). Again the problem reappeared. They are saying the whole rear needs to be repainted to properly fix the problem. If this is a mechanical design problem with the spoiler however, I don't see why the same thing won't just happen again regardless of how the paint is reapplied. What do you guys think? Has anyone noticed this little paint problem on their Crosstour? I don't know what to do....If it truly is a design problem I don't think repainting is going to help but I have no idea how to get the dealer to fix the problem so that it doesn't return...

#102 ·
made an appointment for the paint/hatch issue and noticed just to the left of the hatch wiper.
the seal/window gasket has slipped out as well..
anyone have this issue?

here's an ok picture from my cell..

tried to look at the picture but don't know what i am looking at...
is it the paint or the seal??

#106 ·
they need to remove the spoiler to fix that.
the problem i see they may just remove the seal out then will be no seal under. the seal came with the spoiler that stick to the spoiler,,, just hopping they replace new spoiler.

#110 · (Edited)
Shouldn't be and I'd be p'd like you if mine were anything less too. My Crosstour is smooth, Rabbi, and I expect nothing less.
Have the dealer make the same comp. and necessary repairs, there's something going on there.
G/L
C.

#113 ·
So after being in a loaner cart for a week I got a call from the dealer today, turns out that they do not have an answer for the cause of the paint damage. Their solution is to send the pictures to Honda USA give me some touch up paint and wait to see if the problem returns. I think that I just got back handed by the dealer.
Thanks for nothing!
lorenson Honda
Westbrook, CT

#116 ·
works fine with new spoiler i think the problem is fixed with new spoiler.
Sevice advisor told me maby some mold part (spoiler) are abit different when pull out part still hot could change the form of shap each end may bow in cause it to contact the hatch.

no vibro for me everything is fine.

#117 ·
Top 4 pics are my car
Honda has no answer as to what to do, this is what I got from the dealer today! Touch up on spoiler and tail lights, my favorite is the glue job on the hatch to stop the leak. It looks worse in person!!!:mad:

The rest are a brand new CT that is being sold as new, not demo.
Also another brand new CT, this ones got navi and with a window sticker of $37k with the same problem!

Attachments

#120 · (Edited)
here pictures after repaired if you look closer you can still see 3M clear tape still there i did not want it to be remove.
the 3M tape its not hard to remove but i just want to leave it there for my experiment to see if it dent the 3M tape or not if spoiler still make contact but so far no mark.

Attachments

#123 ·
I've got a black EX-L AWD w/ Nav built in 8/10. Only had it for 2 weeks. I don't really have any problems with it, but I did see a loss of paint on the drivers side. I don't have the vibration problem. I may have closed the hatch without the handle a couple of times. I'm taking it to the dealer to report it this weekend, but I probably won't do much more than to touch it up for now. I think we're forced to see if they come up with the cause of the problem. I'll let you know what they tell me.

#125 ·
Got my spoiler paint damage repaired today from dealer and he said not to close hatch with rear spoiler. DUH, spoiler is about 8 foot tall when you open, and when we close, we use handle (that could break your arm) and rest of way under license plate. We will see if this holds up since we only use rear hatch 4 times a month?

#129 ·
I just came back from the Honda dealership. The Guy seemed to know the problem right away. He said that the CRVs with spoilers were having the same issue. He.pointed out how the spoiler was spaced differently on the driver's side than the passenger side. He said they just needed to space it differently. Thy won't replace the spoiler. I'll probably the repair. I'll let you know how that turns out.

#130 ·
sounds like they need spacer/weather stip raise the clearance.
they have done to mine with 3M black tape and I can see the opening gap so i didn't like it. At the end i asked them to replace new spoiler and they agree becuse i came to dealer twice just for that problem.

#136 ·
Just by chance I stopped in a neighboring dealer today to look at the CTs on the lot and ask their service manager what they have been doing about the paint, vibro, ect... He said he had no clue about it, I took him to the show the missing paint on the CT in his showroom. He was surprised and told me that the factory rep was there, and he was going to get him for me. The Sr. District Parts & Service Manager of the Automobile Division greeted me. He knew who I was and told me the same story, that the engineers are aware of the problem, that he sent them pics of my car and other new ones from dealer lots, that they dont want to paint untill they have a solution, and there is no time frame for a solution, and that he likes what I have done to my CT so far. I told him about this forum and he acted like it was forign to him.

Hi Barry; lets get this taken care of ASAP!

#137 ·
I had the paint touched up by the dealer in the light bucket but now have the vibration. It seems to happen mid turn and then stays as you center the wheel. Is that what you folks are experiencing as well or do I have a new vibration issue? Things were fine with the car until 5400 miles and the vibration showed up.

#138 ·
I just wanted to say thanks to all on this thread for pointing this out. I did not notice this on my car when purchased, just looked at it and sure enough, the paint is rubbed off, I will be talking to the dealer about it this week and see what they have to say. When I called about it, they of course have never heard of this, and want me to bring it in for them to look at, take pictures, etc. etc. I'll also keep everyone updated on what they say.

Oh, Does anyone who has had success getting this fixed, have a reference they could provide, so my dealer could discuss with their dealer?

#139 ·
rear spoiler paint damage on both sides

I too had the damage. I took it in to the honda dealership where i purchased the car and the manager took a picture of it and a few days later told me to bring it in and they fixed it at no charge. i have had it back now a few days and will monitor it to see if it occurs again. hopefully they have fixed what ever it was that was causing the problem. apparently it is not an uncommon problem.

#141 ·
Going in next saturday to have mine "touched-up" / "re-adjusted", of course the service manager said he has never seen that nor heard about it, nor has his "district manager". I say... ya, right whatever.. as long as it gets fixed. Oh, and he did a search online and could find no reference to this problem (due to me telling him I found out about it through here). I told him I'd give him a link to this thread, and he said it's alright, just come in and we'll fix it. Frak'n dealer's blowing smoke... sheesh!

#144 ·
Well the dealer did just that... put a dab of touch up paint on each corner.. said they "adjusted" the spoiler... and that's it... I guess we'll see in a few weeks / months how well it holds up.

#167 ·
Well almost ten months later and I've got a pair of spots rubbed off again. I'll have to go back through all the hastle and hopefully this time they will listen to me and put some spacer's / shim's on the spoiler to prevent it from happening again.

#145 ·
I am a service manager for a honda dealer and i am aware of the problem, i let my bodyshop fix them they paint that area and increase the clearance a bit and put a nice piece of foam in there and secure the spoiler a bit better. this is all under warranty and should cost you nothing ! all of the cars we have fixed are perfect dont settle for little touch ups and poor fitment get your dealer to fix it properly.

#148 ·
Picked up my CT on february 24th. On february 27th. noticed paint flaking on the front fender by pasenger side headlite. Monday the 28th. back at dealership to show the problem. They have their own body shop (great people, used them twice before), they looked at the problem and i took myCT theare today. Called me back after 5 hours and told me that they will repaint whole fender to make it look right (now you know why i said they are great and honest people - flaking was wery miniscule, only anal people like me can notice this stuff). Car will be done tomorrow!!!!!
As far as any other problems i've read at this forum (vibrations etc.) - havent notice anything - only 345mi. onthe car.
with everything said, do i like CT?......LOVE IT!!!!
Does it bother me that paint was flaking?............Yes, after all this is 34K car, not a KIA. ......I paid 31,113 EX-L AWD, splashgards,clear door edge protection.
Do i think this is hondas problem (being design problem)?........... NO. I think this is problem because shift of morons at the paint and assembly parts of the plant that dont follow procedures.
At the end, if you live in Nebraska and want to by CT or any other Honda go to Honda Cars of Belleview, and talk to Rob Rodrigues (sales manager). You will have great bying experience and good deal. Tell him Nazar send you. Got my 2001 Accord V6 and 2006 CRV there also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.