Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Intake Questions

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  PAUL1910 
#1 ·
I want to install this Intake on my Honda CT:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-1210TS

Q1. Will this decrease my MPG, vs. Stock Intake? (If stays same, then I dont care).

Q2. Increase life of Honda engine?

Q3. Worth the money, and if it is. Do you recommend to have the install at lets say 50,000 miles vs. now i only have 20,000.

Thanks

#3 ·
Stay oem

Just make sure you only drive on warm sunny days. These things are famous for allowing water into your engine. And as we all know, water does not compress, so then you bend a rod and lock the engine.

You would not believe the suction your engine creates, so lite rain or even hitting a puddle will splash water into the engine compartment, be sucked into this unit and finally into your engine.

Your factory air cleaner is designed to help elimanate water from entering your engine. It's ugly but it works. After a rain storm, go by any mechanic shop and see how many vehicles with this unit are sitting there with a locked engine.

Also check your insurance coverage, if your engine locks up it may not be covered because you modified your emission system. Your insurance policy states you will do whatever you can to prevent a claim.

Stay OEM!

#5 ·
I'd replace the OEM filter element with a K&N but my experience in modifying Honda motors over the last 12 years is that few performance gains are made, and lots lose performance when changing the full intake. They do make more noise. If it's noise that you want, go for it.

#6 ·
The main reason would be to help engine cooler, hoping for longer lasting engine. The noise is a plus of course. (I'am 25 and will never be "old").

The thing that scares me is this water issue, I read 2-3 people put this Intake Unit in their CT and they love it.

Also, even if I put the cover on the intake (plastic cover) around the head of the intake to prevent water...will that solve the problem.

#7 ·
You would have to be in water 30 inches high for this to be a problem, and by the time you make it 30 inches into a pond you will have far worse problems than just your CAI!

#8 ·
I put a k&n kit on my car ,remenber that generall one change does nothing so without valve work exhaust work and fuel dlivery work all designed together one thing alone wont do much if anything.Now i have seen a difference in MPG on the highway like 1 or 2 nothing huge and it does breathe a little better passing on the highway.Honad spends alot of money on engineering for the masses so trust them .I like the filter element so that was my reason.ButIm pretty sure these werent meant to beat too many cars off the line so thats my honest results ,Hope it helps

#9 ·
I agree with Cadillac Bob. I live in NH not the driest state I put 35000 miles on my 2012 v6 4wd with K&N typhoon in 10 months and I never had an issue in my opinion it sounds better throttle response is a lot better when I switched back to factory air box when I traded it I could tell there was a definite difference even the dealer asked what I did when they test drove it for appraisal and now he was ording one for his v6 accord. It's just like the car you either love it or hate it. I happen to love it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.