Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Rear View Camera Question

10K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  The Bomber 
#1 ·
Dear Owners,

Is it possible, if I own a 2011 Honda CT with just leather to install a rear view camera/gps unit from Honda? I would like Honda to install the OEM on that is on the better model?

* Also I installed a SUB/AMP package from JL Audio and it disabled the Handsfree option on the steering wheel. Is there a way to enable both?

Thanks,

Steve

#2 ·
I'm not sure about adding the navi, but the camera and display via the rear view mirror can be added. My dealer recommended a local shop since they did not have the parts. Cost for installation and parts would be about $ 600. I don't know about the audio.

#3 ·
While it may be possible to add navi to a non-navi car, it will be obscenely expensive. At the very least, you'd need every item on the linked page below. Over $3000 in parts. And that assumes the non-navi car has the wiring in place. If it doesn't, you're in for a ton of labor.
http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisl...&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

In my opinion, a better option would be to go with an aftermarket head unit that has built-in Bluetooth and navigation. It would play nicer with your new amp/sub combo as well.
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation.html?o=d&tp=20222

#4 ·
I do not care about the navi. I use my droid for that I just want the head unit from the better model w/ backup camera. And would only do Honda parts

#5 ·
It's still going to be cost prohibitive. The dash cutouts for the displays (between the different models) are different. The navi equipped vehicle has a larger opening for the screen and completely different center stack.

Your best bet is to go with an aftermarket setup designed to interface with the dash you already have.

As stated earlier, you can get the OEM backup camera with the screen built into the RVM

#6 ·
Dear Owners,

Is it possible, if I own a 2011 Honda CT with just leather to install a rear view camera/gps unit from Honda? I would like Honda to install the OEM on that is on the better model?

* Also I installed a SUB/AMP package from JL Audio and it disabled the Handsfree option on the steering wheel. Is there a way to enable both?
First, the OEM model is nothing to write home about. The signal quality out is pretty much crap, so you have to invest in something like a JL CleanSweep, Rockforf ThreeSixty.3, or JBL MS-8 to clean it up and give you a clean signal. Just using a cheap LOC will give you crap sound, especially to your subs since the factory deck totally rolls off your subs the higher the volume goes. Myself, I say just install a nice aftermarket unit and be done with it.

Also yes, you can defeat ANC (active noise cancellation) and keep your HFL (hands free link). I had to do it when installing the system in my Crosstour. The instructions that come with the JL sub are crap, since when unplugging the ANC plug from the radio you lose your HFL.

I have a thread on the whole thing in the audio forums, but in a nutshell you have to disconnect the rear ANC mic and cut a wire out in the harness over front maplights that powers your front ANC mic.

I noticed that even after doing both of those I got rid of 80% of the nasty feedback, but still have a little left. There is a tutorial online about how to open up the front mic assembly which contains both the front ANC and HFL mics and disable only the front mic itself... I plan on doing that this week myself, will post pics in my original thread when I do.

#7 ·
I got to bring it to my install guy, I cannot do this operation it seems a little technical for me.

Is it a big process or no?

#8 ·
Nothing too difficult, the front interior light assembly must be removed (4 screws) and a wire in one of the harnesses must be clipped and taped. The rear interior light assembly must also be removed (4 screws again) and the rear ANC mic must be unplugged. Thats kind of a pain the ass to do since the mic is a few inches behind the opening for the light and hard to get to, but its alot easier than removing the entire headliner.

And of course if you had your radio removed to unplug the ANC/HFL connector per the JL instructions, it must be removed again to have that plug reconnected.

Overall on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being easiest, 5 being hardest, this job is a 2.

#11 ·
I had a nice Kenwood unit installed by the local car audio shop and they added a backup camera that worked through the head unit. The unit also has navigation which is much better than the factory unit in my wife's Lexus. The cost was about $1200.

To me, there are large blind spots in my Crosstour and backing out of a parking place is a real challenge. I now drive with my rear seats folded down to improve visibility. It helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.