Honda Crosstour Forums banner

How many miles between Oil changes

33K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  L8Apex 
#1 ·
I didn't find the oil change interval in my owners manual. It refers to the maintenance minder in the dash but how many miles do they recommend between oil and filter changes? I now have 600 miles on the car. Thanks for your information. Central Oregon

#7 ·
Go by the oil minder on the dash. The wrench light and type of service required will be displayed on the dash when it is time.

Instead of judging only by miles driven, the maintenance system in the car calculates oil change intervals by not only miles driven, but total RPMs maximum RPMs, idle times, etc.

It's a much more "accurate" way to determine when a change is needed.

(This is of course aside from the initial break-in procedure for a new CT, which is outlined in the owner's manual.)

#9 ·
Go by the oil minder on the dash. The wrench light and type of service required will be displayed on the dash when it is time.

Instead of judging only by miles driven, the maintenance system in the car calculates oil change intervals by not only miles driven, but total RPMs maximum RPMs, idle times, etc.

It's a much more "accurate" way to determine when a change is needed.

(This is of course aside from the initial break-in procedure for a new CT, which is outlined in the owner's manual.)

So the type of oil one uses (dino / synthetic) never comes into play? In all of my cars I run Mobile1 and normally change the oil between 8,000 and 10,000 miles. But if the CT will decide regardless of oil type then I need to rethink this as I am ok paying more for synthetic because I can run it longer...

#8 ·
Oil change interval

The Honda engineers must be making some incredible engines. Was concerned on the recommended oil 0-20wt. Yikes that's thin! Seems Ok for winter but what about summer? Went on the Honda website and I see that their oil is over $14.00 qt.. I couldn't find anywhere if it's full synthetic or a synthetic blend. Does anyone know? Seems like that cost is reasonable if you only have to change once a year. I see that this oil seems to help mileage. Less fluid resistance in engine? We sure are enjoying the CT. It's really quiet and not as much road noise from the tires as Hondas we've owned in the past. That was the only problem I had with Honda was the road noise. Getting better and better. Will continue to purchase Honda and Toyota as I'm thinking that nearly all of their parts are not made in china. I see where Government Motors are Manufacturing their car parts in China and shipping them here to the U.S and assembling them. Maybe for import duty advantage? Well the Japanese ate our lunch when they brought their cars here and showed their quality compared to the U.S. built cars and now the Koreans are going to do the same thing. When will the U.S. manufacturers learn?? :D

#16 ·
I go 7 between changes and I use Mobil 1 full synthetic. The honda dealer charges me 25 bucks and I bring the oil. I buy it at Walmart for 25 bucks for a 5 qt bottle.

#17 ·
I try and stick to around 5000ish miles on full synthetic. The suggestion over on BITOG was around 5000m for a mostly intown drive and to use a good quality full synthetic to reduce chances of problems with oil consumption and fouled plugs on this engine. So far so good. I don't drive a ton so I am ok with an extra oil change every few years.

#18 ·
My 2012 EX V6 has now 57K miles and it gets an oil change whenever it hits about 10% which for me is about every 8,5K - 9K mile or 3-4 months. I also bring Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W20 that I get at Walmart to my Honda dealer. I recently check the oil last time it got to 15% and the oil was as clear as in the bottle.

#19 ·
I change 30%

I believe is changing the oil more often than recommend, about 30% life left on the oilminder. Always use the recommend oil 0-20 fully synthetic Honda oil and change the filter too.

It makes NO sense getting cheap over this. The recommended interval is a trade off between reasonable wear and tear and cost. Low mantainance is a big selling point.

Remember Honda sells New cars for a living. They want you to come back and buy another one when you get tired of this one, say when your loan is paid off.

#20 ·
I've been using the Honda Maintenance Minder to schedule needed maintenance on my 2013 Crosstour. I'm at 12,555 miles right now and have a B1 light on with 5% showing now, so I'll be taking the CT in for service real soon.

My 1st oil change came up at 5,600 miles back in February 2014 (10 months ago), so my recommended oil change has gone a little further this time around. The extra mileage makes sense as I had a round trip to Lubbock, Texas from Los Angeles back in March for my Sisters wedding.

The MM seems pretty reasonable for me, all my past vehicles have had regular oil and filter changes about every 5,000 miles using Mobil 1 synthetic at the recommended Factory viscosity... I do like having the car let me know when it needs a little TLC! :cool:

#24 ·
Does anyone know of a scientific basis for choosing between full synthetic oil or a blend? Honda Oil is a synthetic blend, tho they may also offer a full synthetic. I want to do what's best for my CT 6-cyl engine. I can't imagine Honda not pushing full synthetic if it's really better.

#27 ·
Brand new Crosstour 2015 AWD V6 has 2800 miles. Done all the reading regarding oil change intervals who is right? Every 3000, 5000 or 7500 miles or when your down to 30 percent, 20 percent or 10 percent? :confused:

Don't want to void any warranty, what's the break in period and who really knows who is right! Somebody give me the answer.;)

#29 ·
There is no Factory recommended "Break In" Period. Do all maintenance according to the Maintenance Minder and your warranty will be fine. Take it in when it hits somewhere between 15-0%.

If you go for more than a year before being reminded to get service, (Low annual mileage), have you CT serviced, the oil needs to be changed at least annually.
:cool:

#28 ·
Had mine changed at the dealership (new dealership owner) yesterday. On the little sticker in the left corner of the windshield they marked a date and underneath where mileage would normally be marked they put 15%. Makes sense as virtually all models now have maintenance reminders. BTW, $50 bucks for oil and filter, was less than $30 with previous dealer. Included $5.19 charge for environmental fee. That is BS.

#31 ·
Unless you have a maintenance plan and the oil change is already covered... you really don't need to do it at 3,000 Miles with the kind of synthetic oil the CT uses.

I'd think it's probably more important to get a good filter if anything...

#32 ·
FYI...

The idea that the oil must be changed in a car every 3,000 miles or three months is a myth that even Jiffy Lube admits is not true. Nonetheless, the majority of drivers still insist on changing the oil more often than necessary, prompting the state of California to launch an initiative to clue car owners in as to what’s best for automobiles, the environment, and consumers’ pocketbooks.

In all cases, the answer boils down to this: For today’s cars, it’s almost never necessary to change the oil every 3,000 miles.
Complete article at http://business.time.com/2011/12/19/stop-changing-the-oil-every-3000-miles-already/

#33 ·
Pshivers looked over that article and saw this from Jiffy Lube:

"Today, automakers are more likely to recommend that owners of new cars need to change the oil in their vehicles every 5,000, or even 10,000 miles".

Very interesting, I didn't know they also said that 50 percent of car owners still fall in the change your oil every 3000 miles category. Thanks for the info.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.