Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Crosstour Vibration / Flutter 20 - 25 mph

149K views 159 replies 83 participants last post by  Tour 
#1 ·
I have owned a 2010 Honda Crosstour 2WD EX for a little over one year. There is a slight vibration or flutter felt in the gas pedal and steering between 20 and 25 miles per hour during slight to moderate acceleration or going uphill. Allignment, new tires, tire rotation, and balancing does not fix the problem. It does not necessarily occur during shifting. It is only noticeable on smooth roads after the car is warmed up. The dealer noticed it and provided a transmission computer update that they thought fixed it, but it remains the same.

I noticed a couple of old posts on the web with a similar problem, and wondered if anyone else has noticed this or has a solution? Thanks.

#32 ·
Update on my CT. Driver side front wheel bearing was replaced, pasenger side front axel replaced.Flutter is gone so is "woop woop" sound, and overall front suspention feels much tighter and smoother. I hope it will last.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the update. Per chance was the bad wheel bearing emitting a nasty burning grease odor? I'm going round and round with thw dealer, they are cooperative but shrug a lot on answers. Had a half shaft replaced but the odor is as strong as ever. Only on the right wheel well, lift the hood and not as strong. Tire is not hot, nor are the brakes. Nothing obvious leaking, doesn't reach the ground anyway.

I'll listen for the woop woop too, wife drives it most of the time but I think I'll return and get them to check the wheel bearing.

#36 ·
There is another topic on this forum talking about problems with suspention geometry.That is why. I did not metioned this to dealer, they sujested it. Adjustable arm will give you possibility to adjust toe and chamber, wich is not possible with factory setup. And you are right, this is not covered under warranty $180 per side.

#38 ·
Same flutter issue, software update seemed to make it worse

I bought my 2010 Crosstour used two months ago, still under warranty with 23000 miles. I love the size, comfort, ride and power. I did not notice the flutter between 20 and 27 MPH until reading through this forum.
I took the car to a dealer, and they applied a transmission software update. They also turned the front rotors and suggested I have the tires balanced. I had the tires balanced and rotated soon afterward.
We took a family road trip, and I noticed that the flutter had turned into a more pronounced vibration, not felt through the wheel, pedals, or shift lever, but throughout the chassis. Eventually, the vibration began occurring at any speed, though only after the car is warm.
Another trip to another dealer resulted in an unable to duplicate diagnosis, yet I can still feel it. One only needs to drive the car from cold and let it get to operating temperature to feel the difference, but they said they found no problem. They called a Honda representative who also denied a problem.
I intend to take it back once more; one step at a time. Is this a trend in a range of VINs? if enough of us complain to the NHTSA and Honda, maybe they will acknowledge and address the problem.

#40 ·
I traded my 2008 GMC Acadia for a 2012 CT. My Acadia had started to do some sort of a shudder at about 20-27 MPH as well, being more noticeable on an incline. I was going to have it checked and put new tires on it, but a trip to the Honda dealer about my Odyssey changed that! Now that I have a new CT, I hope it doesn't start that shuddering too!

#44 ·
Just purchased a 2010 crosstour with 28,000 miles... and the 22mph flutter. I'll keep you posted... seeing the dealer tomorrow.
They acknowledged the vibration...
went in for a 30,000 mile check-up; changed differential fluid, tranny fluid, cleaned injectors, and the usual stuff. Tranny fluid looked darker than normal. Tires were worn, had a new set put on and aligned. So we changed all the stuff that I would do anyway. So I now know what it can't be. Dealer thought vibration was from a broken belt in a rear tire. Vehicle only shuddered after driven for a while and only between 22 and 30mph on occasion up hill (acted like there was mud on the inside of the rim). Drove back from dealer in a snowstorm... snow on rims. Will report back in a week or so.

#43 ·
I've contacted honda customer care thru twitter and told them about flutter.They said that they didnt hear about this problem (????? after all that was described here- involving regional servise managers etc.) Told them that problem got better but not totaly gone. They told me to take it back to dealer for more checks and test. Now they keep asking me in the emails if i took it back ( i have not yet). Maybe everybody that have this problem should twit them so the word is out and, maybe, some action will be taken on corporate level?

#46 ·
Owner of 2011 EX-L 4WD with 20-25 flutter (a good word for the phenomenon). For me the sensation results in my knees moving side to side as well as noting a slight vibration in the chassis via the seat. Don't feel it in accelerator however. Something is wrong in Denmark with CT front end suspension/drive shaft/differential/whatever and Honda ought to be talking about a recall. I haven't had the time to take my car to a dealer, and frankly, I ignored the vibration for a long while because I didn't like the idea of a new car I purchased not performing as I dreamed it would. Sounds crazy, but I think we who love cars sometimes purposely overlook flaws in order to appreciate the beauty inside, sort of like our wives. You know, nobody's perfect. Yet I intend to take the car in, and to reference everything in this forum regarding this issue. Will let you all know as well of course.

#47 ·
Vibration Problem

I had the same vibration problems on acceleration. Rotated and balanced tires, still vibrated. I finally took it in to my Dealer and the found the problem. They replace the left and right driveshaft assemblies, no questions asked. I do drive a lot with 82K miles on a 2010; fortunately, I bought the extended warranty and it was covered. Makes me wonder if this is a design flaw since it was replaced with no questions asked.

Replaced parts: 44305-TP6-A00 and 44306-TP6-A00

Running smooth so far, no more vibrations.

#50 ·
Maybe there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out there that covers this issue. Although, I could not find one. There are four power train TSBs out there but two are for a fouled plug issue and the other two are engine management software updates.

#52 ·
20-24mph vibration (continued)

re: 2011 4wd; bought it with 15k miles, now at 25k. (Vibration remaining pretty constant, not increasing nor decreasing)

Went to local dealer who hooked up their computer with tech in passenger seat while I drove to a smooth, quiet road to demo the vibration. I obviously told the tech of the mph the vibration would occur, so he was prepared to record the event. He said he felt it too, and after doing several runs, we went back to the garage where he loaded the info from his laptop by wirelessly interfacing with their online system; several graph lines were then displayed showing, at various mph, the smoothness or lack of same of the engine and transmission. The transmission graph line did not show a strange disturbance in the target mph area, BUT the engine rpm did change exactly where I had experienced the vibration. So his conclusion was that it wasn't in the drivetrain.

So he downloaded the graphs and info to Honda in Torrance, Ca. They came back two weeks later to say they didn't think it was particularly important according to the data they had been sent.

All along I've been telling the dealer that the reason I even notice the problem is that the shifts in every other gear are so smooth, and the engine is so smooth that the vibration is clearly evident and disturbing because of its uniqueness to what otherwise is a smooth process.

So I'm going back for a second examination at the dealer, who will probably do the same test again and see what if any differences the computer picks up. I'm feeling the vibration via the accelerator more now than anywhere else, even though I'm aware it's a fly by wire connection. The vibration is simply being transferred through the chassis to the accelerator pedal connection I think. If I go very slow in that mph range, I can feel the car slowly move my knees back and forth ever so gently, but not sure that sensation is due to the same process; that could be a tire issue.

Will keep the forum appraised. If I can obtain a picture of their readout I'll share that as well. I'll be asking them for one.

I'm intrigued by the fellow above who talked about an ABS test he learned caused a similar situation in a Ford, and Ford tech was not aware of a test conducted by the ABS system. With cars becoming so smooth running, I suppose we can be potentially called too picky, but when something is felt, as opposed to just heard, it's disturbing enough to want to fix in my mind. As I told the dealer, I'm just as concerned that it doesn't get worse, especially after the warranty is reached.

Separately: Still like the car; its good looks combined with its utility has proven for me to be a winner. Many cars, like the regular Accord, have back seats that fold down, but the CT's sloping rear end means much taller objects can be carried, yet it doesn't look anything like an SUV, but instead resembles the Panamera or other exotic. I actually prefer the profile of the CT to any other similar shape I've seen. The front end sometimes seems a little large for the car, but then the idea of having more stuff in between me and a large object during an accident smooths me over.

#54 ·
Vibration Continued

So in my continuing quest for an answer to the 20-24 mph vibration, I went back for a second check with the local dealer. They had heard back from Honda, Torrence where the results of the computer test on my first visit about this problem was measured and found. It was shown at the dealer to be a change in the engine RPM, but it didn't show any disturbance in the drive train. But the technician could feel it as I did, and the engine RPM did show a flutter during that exact miles per hour range.

So, Honda in Torrence, CA looked at the data, but could not conclude anything from it. So it came back to the dealer who repeated what Torrence said. The dealer suggested I come back for a second look. This time I just left the car with the dealer and they took it out during a rather busy day at the dealership. They said they drove it and couldn't detect any problem, but they didn't connect the computer this time, but just drove it supposedly. I asked if they drove on a smooth road because it's semi-subtle and a rougher road masks the vibration. They didn't know if that was the case. I asked if they would like to go out with me and have it demonstrated, but they said they didn't think it would be a good idea. In the next few minutes the discussion was obviously geared to convince me that the vibration issue was to be dropped by the dealer. When I reviewed the first analysis showed both the vibration, the graph displaying an engine rpm disturbance, and their own tech feeling it on the road, they said they couldn't repeat the process and the service manage just stood staring at me with, well, it's my turn to agree it's not a problem. I asked them for a copy of all the work orders and their notes, and walked out. I'm not happy. I had told them that the car's transmission and engine is so smooth that a little vibration when detected is more obvious than perhaps it might be in a truck, but that I was concerned more with what happens if the vibration means a bigger issue later on after the warranty is exceeded. Also, it seems that Honda would like to be more curious about an anomaly that truly shouldn't be there, or that there is a good reason it is there. But to ignore it by essentially telling me to go away seems un-Honda-like.

Got a call a few days later from Honda Torrence, but that discussion was more like the last one at the dealership only worse in the sense that the actual details of the computer display and the tech's experience on the drive were not visible to this person. He was nice, wanted to make me happy, but in the end said that it wasn't important enough to do anything with. I said I'd like to have Honda declare that if it is a problem that evolves into something worse at a time when the warranty is expired that I'd like to know they would cover it, but he couldn't do that.

At this point not sure what to do. I do like the car--had told them that many times--and that I wasn't asking for them to take the car apart to fix what is now a relatively minor disturbance despite its unknown future implications, but from what I've learned at this Forum, other dealers did indeed make some adjustments that seem to have worked (BTW the dealer wasn't even interested in looking at the discussion on this Forum, declaring that most forums are just a bunch of people who are whiners and overly critical. I countered that this forum wasn't like that at all, and that frankly most of the comments are just the opposite, and the members by a large majority love the car, but it didn't faze them).

#55 ·
I had a 2010 with the engine shutter, and now I have a 2013 with the same engine shutter that is getting worse at 20-25 mph. Why haven't they fixed this design flaw yet? I noticed Acura hasn't gone to the VCM.

The 2013 crosstour also hesitates when the engine starts shaking real hard at 22mph.

#56 ·
Went to another dealer for a major maintenance, which included a transmission fluid drain among many other fluid replacements. The shudder seems to have been reduced, although still noticeable, just not as much. So this is good.

On another fluid-related issue, they topped off the power steering fluid (they wanted to completely drain, clean and fill that too, but I opted not to at over $100); but anyway, that little additional fluid stopped completely a different problem for me, which was a semi-jerky movement of the car when turning the steering wheel at speed. It was more noticeable when a passenger, and I thought it was a potential mechanical flaw, but alas, it's now very smooth, the way it should be. Apparently if the fluid level is diminished at all, it can cause this issue; it wasn't particularly low they said, and obviously there was no leakage problem. So, for those who sense a minor jerkiness when turning the wheel (at speed--not when going slow), you might have the power steering fluid checked.

#58 · (Edited)
I'm at around 13k miles, and been noticing the 20-25 shakes for about 3-5k now, consistently.

Also notworthy - I had to have my front rotors turned at 9k miles due to judder, and also had my tires re-balanced at around 10k due to heavy unbalance.

I'm not too thrilled about this 20-25mph shake, and have been wondering when or if mine would show-up.
I work for a Honda dealership, but doubt i'll be in any better position for honda to warranty anything, but I'll likely try.

I'm starting to fully appreciate my decision to LEASE this car, rather than buy it.
And I've also abandoned my desire to re-lease a newer 13 for the upgrades.
I love my CT, but we shouldn't have these types of issues for what we PAID for this vehicle. :rolleyes:

gr