Honda Crosstour Forums banner

2013 Factory Trailer Hitch

35K views 53 replies 18 participants last post by  Ang 
#1 ·
Just purchased my 2013 Crosstour. Has anyone installed the Honda Factory Trailer Hitch on the 2013? Their rear pan is slightly different than the previous models. Would like to see pictures. I have a car lift in my garage so would like to install one myself. Also if someone has a best price let me know.

#2 · (Edited)
You might want to check out the following:
http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-i-receiver-hitch-125-inch-11002-p-2224.html

At $156, it would seem to be a worthwhile consideration. I"ve installed their hitches on other cars, not the CT yet. Can't be that different from the Honda hitch.

PS just noted that the reference above is for 2010-2012, so I assume they will or have already a hitch for your 2013.

#4 · (Edited)
Not sure if the hitch is different in 2013. I had an OEM hitch installed on my 2010 (after trying an aftermarket one first that was noticeably LOUD and did some really strange resonance thing with the exhaust. Both at ~35 and ~65 MPH, plus at idle in my driveway that got dogs barking in my neighborhood whenever I started the car.

Note: I managed to find a dealer who would install a Honda hitch that I purchased (for $300 delivered to my door). The dealership service manager gave me a bunch of static about not installing a wiring harness and I told him repeatedly it would only haul bikes so they finally let up on that one and charged me 2 hrs labor. It took the service guys 4 hours to install so I would pass on doing it yourself unless you have time (bumper has to come off, you have to cut away some of the plastic, etc.).

#6 ·
I tried the DrawTite on my '10 (before getting the OEM hitch). While I could overlook the extra metal hanging out, the strange muffler resonance behavior was a show stopper.

#7 · (Edited)
2013 hitch installed incorrectly?

Hi everyone, new member here (my intro is here: http://www.crosstourownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1785

I knew I would want a trailer hitch before I purchased my Crosstour. It would be used for a bike rack as well as a receiver cargo rack, and very occasionally a very small trailer. Looking at these forums and others, I saw that the factory hitch while ridiculously expensive, looked the nicest given that it tucks under the bumper cover keeping a clean look to the back.

Thusly, I purchased the hitch system with installation at the time of purchase, with the dealership ordering the parts and setting up the install the next week.
I was a bit disappointed to see the hitch sticking out as shown in my picture, and after verifying how it should look with Honda’s accessory page, have brought it back to the dealership to have them assess what the problem is. It seems like it is either installed incorrectly, the wrong hitch year, or that Honda has changed the way it tucks from the 2010-2013 models, and is falsely advertising on their site. I’m inclined to believe the first scenario, and hope this gets resolved quickly and painlessly.

Edub; very nice car and bike rack. I'll have to look into that when my problme gets resolved.

Attachments

#12 ·
WOW- that is a dramatic change from the earlier OEM hitch. I suspect Honda went that route because of the amount of additional labor to install the one I have. It took the service techs 4+ hours to install whereas the aftermarket hitch takes 20 minutes or so.

As for bike racks, the two best ones on the market are 1up and Kuat. The 1up is lighter / easier to stow away. Both come with a lifetime warranty!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
2013 Factory Trailer Hitch-Wrong Part?

Just an idea here.

Maybe they ordered the wrong part.

According to what I see there is a differenct part number for 2013 versus 2010-2012.

2013 - P/N 082L92-TP6-100A
2012 -P/N 082L92-TP6-101
2010-2011 - P/N 082L92-TP6-100

Maybe they ordered the 100 versus the 100A. Easy mistake to make.

#16 ·
Not looking good so far. My wife just called me and said that our service advisor said that they've looked at it and there is no way for it to be moved back/up any further. Something about removign it an refunding my purchase of it (its on the sales contract). I called him back but had to leave a message.

I'll have him double check the part numbers. What I don't understand if this is the correct part, why does Honda's accessory site shows the hitch being tucked under like the previous years (see post 11 link)?! I'll relay what I find out after I get in touch with the dealership.

#18 ·
I've just read the installation instructions (23 pages) for the 2010-2012 hitch and the installation instructions (20 pages) for the 2013 hitch. They are totally different. All of the body work cutting, drilling and manipulation are eliminated in the 2013 configuration. The picture, above, is not that of the 2013 part.

#19 ·
Thanks for the info everyone.

Talked to my service advisor, and he confirmed that the part number is the correct TP6-100A hitch. They seem to be convinced that Honda's site has an incorrect picture. I asked that they contact Honda America to let them know and confirm, which they said they did. In the meantime, they will remove my hitch tomorrow and refund me the $800 they charged me at time of purchase.

I'm bummed that I won't have a nice, hidden, factory hitch, but I'm not paying $800 (including wire harness, and install) for something that doesn't look better than a $170 aftermarket hitch.

I just sent Honda Customer Service a Twitter message asking for confirmation on the hitch not being hidden, referencing this forum. I hope they have some good news...

#20 ·
That SUCKS... trade the car in for a 2012 ;)

Well, it is nice that they are refunding your money! IIRC, I paid $330 for the hitch and $200 for install (which took some effort because two dealerships said they would not install a hitch purchased elsewhere (OEM or otherwise), it had to be put in with the wiring harness and one of them told me they had to do a bunch of work on the transmission to make it "stronger" hahahah). The service manager where I had the work done wasn't pleased because it took probably 2x as long as he thought it would when he quoted me a flat install fee. I was courteous and ran outta there skippin and hoppin :D

#22 · (Edited)
Yes, I’m not too happy, but at least I’ll get my refund. I sure hope Honda chimes in and say’s there is a problem not addressed. Their website definitely shows a 2013, with the silver bottom and all. I’ll resist getting an aftermarket hitch until I get something definite from Honda themselves. I very much doubt there were any major body changes from the model years besides the grill and bottom cladding.

Thanks to everyone here and your inputs and support. Eeehheee…
:(

Attachments

#24 ·
L8Apex, right you are; great sleuthing. From your pictures, and looking at the install instructions, it does appear that Honda made a big change in the hitch design and install.

Honda needs to update their accessory page to accurately show how the hitch looks installed. As is, it shows what is obviously a 2013 with a hitch mounted in a hidden fashion like the previous models.

It’s a shame that there is no factory option that looks factory. Oh well. Hope this thread helps others make a clear decision on whether to get this option or go aftermarket.

#25 ·
2013 Crosstour trailer wiring harness LOCATION ???

Howdy Folks,
I installed my CURT hitch a few days ago on my 2013.

I am installing the wiring harness, using OEM plug, but am unable to find the male end (or is it female?). The instructions claim it is under the drivers side cover in back (wrapped with blue tape). I cannot locate it. I am using an inspection mirror with flashlight and zero luck. The You Tube video is of a 2012 C.T.

Any of you w/ a 2013 have any idea's where the OEM plug is hidden ???

Mucho Thanks !!!

Kevin
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota

#35 ·
Howdy Folks,
I installed my CURT hitch a few days ago on my 2013.

I am installing the wiring harness, using OEM plug, but am unable to find the male end (or is it female?). The instructions claim it is under the drivers side cover in back (wrapped with blue tape). I cannot locate it. I am using an inspection mirror with flashlight and zero luck. The You Tube video is of a 2012 C.T.

Any of you w/ a 2013 have any idea's where the OEM plug is hidden ???

Mucho Thanks !!!

Kevin
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Kevin, did you ever find the location for the OEM connector?

#26 ·
Hi Kevin, and welcome! Please post a picture of your Curt Hitch when you can; I'm probably going to be getting one since Honda Twitter confirmed that their website hitch pic is wrong for the 2013.

As far as the wireing, I looked at the Curt aftermarket harness and it looks to me like it's supposed to connect to the Honda wireing harness that has to be purchased. I hope for both our sakes I'm wrong, but you might want to contact the supplier to check on that if you can't find the connection.

#27 ·
I assumed (there I go again, assuming !!! ) the Honda wiring harness is similar to what I have.

There is a block, maybe 1 inch x 0.5 inch covered in electrical tape further up under the plastic body work, out of my reach. Once I figure out how to pull the (inner) side panel, drivers-side rear, to access the area, I may never know.

I wonder if my friendly neighborhood Honda mechanic would care to share his wealth of knowledge regarding the wiring harness ???

It looks like the available 2013 hitches all resemble each other.

?? THOUGHT: Does the spare tire drop from the bottom of the 2013 CT? On an earlier model, the spare is visible when the rear tray is pulled.
Mine ain't...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.