Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Creaks, Rattles and Other Noises?

12K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Hondasports77 
#1 ·
Have any of you experienced creaks, rattles or any other odd noises associated with fit and finish? I have a plastic shifting on plastic creaking noise coming from my door right at my left shoulder when sitting in the drivers seat. I am able to recreate the same noise when I push outward on the door. It's only an individual creak or two. It happens most often when I'm speeding up or slowing down. There's also a wire gremilin in my steering column. Whenever I go over choppy pavement, I get a rattle in there too.

On a side note, the Crosstour (not the Accord) was dinged for this very issue in the latest Consumer Reports release.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

#2 ·
We have the same creek at the door in ours. It doesn't really hurt anything, so I have yet to drop it off for the repair. My dealer is nice enough to explain to me what was repaired though, such as when we had an issue with a sticking door handle. Turns out it just needs a simple 5 minute adjustment and it was cured.

#3 ·
Well, I finally remedied that creaking... there are two rubber contact grommets on the inside of the door. Can you believe, after all this time (yes, I am an immense procrastinator), it was the upper adjustable rubber grommet. It was just barely contacting that little circular sticker, so every time there was the slightest bit of shimmy in the car's frame (fractions of mm's) the two contact points would separate causing the little creaking/ticking noise.

It had been driving me nuts since I bought the darn car; finally reserved a morning to take the door apart and see what the heck it was. In the long run, it was a 25 second fix. Whoo-hoo!

I did feel a tad bit foolish though... I should have tried this the day I drove it off the lot.

#5 ·
I have two... one that I am relatively sure I can fix and another I can't figure out. The first is the glove box rubbing on the area around the glove box when it is closed. I am planning on applying some adhesive felt to see if that alleviates the issue.

The second is really bugging me because I have no idea what might be causing it. It sounds as though it is coming from outside the cabin on the right middle to right front of the car. It seems to only rattle when I hit slight bumps which unfortunately is a lot. It sounds like something is not attached or completely tightened down.

I love how quiet the car is other than that. In fact, it's the main reason I notice the other noises in the first place. In that sense I guess it is sort of a double edged sword.

#9 ·
I have two noises that have returned on my 1year old 2012 CT now that the weather is cold.

1) a creak or rattle from the pocket under the cd changer. This seems to be a common problem on the Accord as my 2008 had a similar issue.

2) a creak or tick sound from the steering column when the wheel is turned at slow speeds. My guess is a cord real issue, but who knows. I have an after market remote start, which I am hoping the dealer doesn't blame the problem on.

It took my dealer 5 tries and year to diagnose and repair a clunk in the front end don't really want to take the car back right now.

#10 ·
The only irratating noise from my CT is a cringing scratching noise when I open and shut the front DS window. I had it checked out at the dealer when I took it in for service to no avail. The lease is just about up and I'm going to test drive a '13 this weekend. If I take it, that'll solve the problem!

But if you want a real annoyance, where the heck is the power tailgate. Seriously, a 35K car and only one way to open the tailgate!?! I don't get it.

#16 ·
The steering joint located on the bottom driver side foot well behind the brake pedal could use some grease. Sometimes that might help with noise. I know Toyota have some bulletin about noise in the steering joint but not Honda.
It is just like a u-joint on a pick up truck if you know what I'm talking about. Its a moving part and should be grease periodically.

#17 ·
Thanks, I made note of this and other suggestions I found in the accord forum. I wish I was brave enough to do it but I fear I will screw something up. I am not the mechanically inclined, I struggle to put IKEA furniture together or a 4 recipe meal. LOL. I will be taking my car in for an oil change soon and will ask they check that and other suggestions. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.