Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Timing Belt or Timing Chain for 2013 Crosstour I4?

28K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  TyroneT 
#1 ·
Can anyone confirm whether the 2013 Crosstour I4 (4 cylinder) uses timing chain or timing belt? Thank you.

#2 ·
My understanding is that all K-series motors employ a timing chain like the F-series motors do. The part number information from the online catalogs calls it a timing chain, not belt.
(Part # 14401-R40-A01 CHAIN (176L) (DAIDO)).

I'll be ordering an I4 Crosstour service manual soon and will follow up on this when I have it in hand.

Oh, and the parts diagram clearly shows a timing chain tensioner as pat of the cam system.

#7 ·
You don't have to sell me on that when it comes to my S2000. It' gets a new $10 oil filter, washer and 5 quarts of 5W-30 Castrol Syntec every 3,000 miles or after every day at the track regardless of how many miles are on the oil before I went to the track.

But that's a supercharged F22 motor that's reving 700 rpm above the factory 8,000 rpm redline and pumping out nearly 400 whp. The Crosstour ought to be a lot more liberal in my view.

#8 ·
the 4 is a chain / the six is a belt my last 4 cyl in my element was a chain went 180k then traded never did anything but tires and brakes and replaced gaskets on exhaust love Honda i am now on my second 2012 crosstour v6 4wd wanted a 2013 but was offered such a good dealer on a v6 4wd with nav i bought it instead 28,212 plus 810 destination fee

#12 ·
Yes, Synthetic

Took my CT to the dealer for the first oil change... and much to my surpirse they put in synthetic at 3k.

#11 ·
My 2003 Accord is a 4cyl (First year for the the timing chain I believe) with 125,000 miles on it, car has been a Gem and trouble-free.

I change oil every 5,000-7,500 (No oil minder in 2003) and use the factory recommended grade of Mobil One. I have read many reports in the 7th generation Accord forum of 4 cyl with bad timing chains in about 100K mile, common cause seems to be lack of regular maintenance (regular oil changes) and using too heavy of an oil.

I have a V6 Crosstour in addition to the Accord now, guess I will be changing timing belts in 100K miles...

#18 ·
You can buy those on ebay for about $30-40 on a CD with pdf files. I have both I4 and V6 for 2010-2012. I'm giving these away in another thread but only a few message me about it. I can send it as an attachment with email via google drive.
Not sure I have time right now as Im leaving this weekend for military training for a month. PM me and I will do what I can.

#19 ·
How often should trimming belts be changed?
I have a 2013 CT, bought in January of this year and have put 6,200 miles on it so far, it's fun to drive.
Not really worried about changing the trimming belt on the CT yet but I also have a 2005 Accord (bought new) with 16,100 miles on the car. Should the belt be changed on the Accord?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.